Smoke

Kris87

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this has to be so complicated and require money and special equipment.

We just stood by the campfire most of the night in our hunting clothes to get the same effect.

What do you mean, special equipment? I just use what I have already at the house. I haven't spent a dime making a fire. I guess I could build a campfire in my backyard, but it sure would get boring standing around it by myself. :rofl:

Kris87

I think the smoke works really well to get it on your skin too. We all know how long smoke smell will stay on your hands and skin just from standing around the fire. I suppose the carbon has a lot to do with it.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
What do you mean, special equipment? I just use what I have already at the house. I haven't spent a dime making a fire. I guess I could build a campfire in my backyard, but it sure would get boring standing around it by myself. :rofl:

Build it and they will come. ::ke::bounce:

Curtis-UGA

By far the best cover scent I have ever used. I use a bee hive smoker just for the convenience. I like to smoke my clothes right before I go into the woods.

yellowhammer73

I think the smoke works really well to get it on your skin too. We all know how long smoke smell will stay on your hands and skin just from standing around the fire. I suppose the carbon has a lot to do with it.

This is why I use a bee smoker. I smoke all equipment and whole body. Hardwood smoke seems to be the best. Not so gummy like pine.
It's carbon. The scent eliminating clothing is full of carbon.
The Indians used a similar method of cover. They would stop eating meat and sit in a shelter with a fire burning until they were covered in ash. And they had to get a heck of a lot closer for a kill than we do.

hoythunter1861

I got a bee smoker this year to try out. But usually just making a small fire of leaves and pinestraw. Get it burning, pile a bunch on, then stand in the smoke rubbing around. Get my pack into it as well. Then, after it burns out, I use my boots to get the rest of the smolders out. Been the best thing I've used, and definitely saw the amount of alerted deer, and being winded, cut down significantly.

Kris87

I will add, that when one gets downwind of me, they almost always stop and scent check for awhile. Then carry on. They don't act like they don't smell the smoky smell.

jlt4800

I met a guy several years ago on Chattahoochee fall line hunt that swore by the use of smoke...he said it's how to kill the big ones!
I may have to give it a try this season.

Johnny 71

Junebug
Everything is smoked , and we are having morning temperatures in the upper 40tys, all I need is the deer to show up

mstersmith

I have never tried this but just went and smoked all of my gear! I learn something new every time I stop by here. Hunting in Ca smoke means the world is ending for game

robdobbs1983

Guys... Safety first! Don't smoke anything until you've safely harvested and recovered your game... Then to each his own.

Johnny 71

Junebug
I also hunt the wind as best I can, but up here you'd have to sit on a swivel seat to hunt the wind, smoke is just part of what I do, but I have seen a lot more deer since I started doing it

Tmpr111

Man, this whole smoking your clothes deal must work pretty well. My Dad taught me almost 20 years ago to put my hunting gear in a bag filled with leaves, sticks, dirt, etc. to help with scent. Take them out of the bag and you smell just like the woods.... I'm sure its not the "best" way and I haven't done it in quite a long time but may bust out the old man's trick this year and see how it goes.

Only problem with GA bow season is sweating going in. BUT the last two mornings it has been pretty cool out so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Yes sir.. this is how I was taught as well.

Down4Count

Bee smoker, with Spanish moss. Covers the human sent, plus the Spanish moss keeps the mosquitos away. Nature provides all you need.

NUTT

Yall keep this secret here at Woody's cause if this gets out to the whole US aint gonna be no big bucks left!::ke:

Kris87

The best thing about the beesmoker as opposed to just a regular fire is how quick it is and how little you have to put in it to make it bellow smoke. I just shave off a few white oak and hickory chips, throw a couple leaves in it, and light it with a torch. Takes it maybe a minute to be pouring smoke. Its really easy and convenient to do.