Blackbeard island in October?

Is anyone going to attend the October hunt on Blackbeard island? I am planning on going for the first time. I've been to a couple of the sapelo hunts before, but from older post I notice it's a different type of hunt on Blackbeard. Was suppose to have had a group up but as of right now it looks like that might have dwindled down to just me.

Trip Penn

We have a group that goes every October. I am afraid that this year is going to be canceled due to storm damage. As of yesterday the boat ramp at Harris Neck is closed due to storm damage and there has been no report of an assessment done on Blackbeard.

XJfire75

I was looking into going there and Harris neck but like trip said there’s extensive damage in those areas so not sure that hunting is their top priority over there. Guess we’ll know in another month or so.

Trip Penn

As of last night they are assessing damage to the island but Harris Neck is reported as closed indefinitely. If you plan on taking your own boat you will have to find another place to launch. We have used Shellman's before but you have to put in a day early because they are closed the Wednesday before the hunt due to the traffic.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll be waiting to see if it gets cancelled or not. I've used the blue and hall to launch for sapelo how much further of a boat ride would Blackbeard be?

Trip Penn

I have never used Blue N Hall but from the looks of the map, it would be a lot farther. We enter Blackbeard Creek from Sapelo Sound to get to the dock if that gives you any idea of the distance.

Trip Penn

Looks like they are opening the island next week for scouting. Hairtrigger if you end up going by yourself, you are welcome to set up camp with us. We will be near the bath house, look for the Appling Archers sign.

Latest posts