209 primer keeps falling out. What's the deal?

jrsower

I have a CVA in-line muzzleloader. My primer keeps falling out. I'm afraid that when I'm out in the field in a month that's going to happen when I'm looking down the barrel at a deer. Shouldn't it wedge itself in there?

fishtail

Depends on which model you have.
Order you another breech plug and see if that solves the problem.

K80Shooter

You do not state which manufacturer of primer you have, could be just a cheap knock off of the 209 primer or a worn part on a well used gun. Just a dot of nail polish on the primer may get you by until you get it corrected.

Rich Kaminski

Post a picture of your gun, the primer and the primer holder - then maybe we can figure it out.

markland

They typically have a spring retention system on them to hold the primer in place, maybe spring is missing or broken?

Deerhead

Depending on which model you might need to simply order a new breach plug. They are only $15 and you can order directly from CVA

Rich Kaminski

Mine does not have a spring. It is held in place by the bolt and the primer sits in a plastic disc with a small projection on the side(which makes removal of the primer and disc easy).

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Really can't comment without a make, model, and hopefully an up close pic.

rosewood

Depending on which model you might need to simply order a new breach plug. They are only $15 and you can order directly from CVA

CVA has a lifetime warranty, if the primer is falling out, wouldn't they replace it under warranty?

Rosewood