wife wants camera for 'stuff' and grandchillens

WayneB

I've looked at the previous posts WRT starter DSLR's and they are honestly dated, so starting a new thread.

She who must be obeyed passed on her Christmas 'want', a new DSLR kit.

All I know about photography is I like to see the end results, I'd say her skills are about the same.

budget to $1k, She'd like general snapshot type ability, the occasional long distance or zoom, and macro is a definite must, she wants to capture her flowers and corals in a tight setting.
Interchangeable lenses appear to be a must have, auto focus or at least auto exposure with manual focus to minimize the fussing.

According to her kidz she's a technophobe, her husband thinks she can figure it out, provided the learning curve isn't like trying to sip water out of a firehose. :)

Son has her convinced Nikon is the route to go, Seems as if the D3400 is popular, or heavily advertised ATM.

All 'kits' I've seen on amazon are minus a macro lens, and I've yet to search and research those yet.

Interested in any and all suggestions or direction, I am lost...

wvdawg

Staff member
Nikon is fantastic. The D3400 would serve her well, but staying under budget will be tight for adding a good macro lens. I would suggest starting with the kit and using extension tubes for macro until you are ready to invest in another lens.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
IIRC you can go up to 10:1 with the standard lens. I have never needed a macro for anything I wanted to shoot with my Nikon. If she is going to shoot coral and flora, I really think she will find it is not needed.

WayneB

Got the D3400 kit, and a handful of diopters to enhance the close-ups.

Decided against the 'kit' and DIY'ed one; Body with 18-55 and 50-300 lenses, flash trigger, speed light, tripods, case and extra batteries and SD cards.
In it under the $1k benchmark too.

wvdawg

Staff member
Got the D3400 kit, and a handful of diopters to enhance the close-ups.

Decided against the 'kit' and DIY'ed one; Body with 18-55 and 50-300 lenses, flash trigger, speed light, tripods, case and extra batteries and SD cards.
In it under the $1k benchmark too.

Congrats! I think you will be happy with it. :clap:

rip18

Good job on DIYing. Yep, the diopters will definitely help with close up. That basic kit should keep a MWC (Mom With Camera) happy for quite some time.