New pay-lake..... Monster Catfish Lake

cuda67bnl

There's a new pay lake just outside of Loganville, called J&M's Monster Catfish Lake. It's been open about 7 weeks, and yesterday afternoon I decided to stop by and see what it's all about. I stopped in and read the rules, and decided to fish it today.

They're supposed to open at 8:00am, but they were closed when I arrived at 8:30. So, I called their number and talked to the guy that runs it. He was having some issues and wouldn't be able to get there until lunch time, but he told me they would be stocking it with 1280 pounds of fish today, and come by at lunch to see what they were putting in it. I figured that sounded like a decent plan, so I went fishing somewhere else til lunchtime, then made my way back over there.

When I got back there, the fish guy was there, but the owner wasn't. He was on the way though. So I hung out with the fish guy and talked shop with him. Once the owner arrived, the stocking began. I filmed every single fish that went in the water, and I don't think there was more than one or two that was less than 7 or 8 pounds. The biggest was 42 pounds. There were a bunch in the 15 to 25 pound class. I may try and post the video later.

If I recall correctly, they've put almost 5500 pounds of cats in this pond already. And I bet the pond ain't 3 acres....... They have multiple fish in the 40 pound class, several in the 60 pound class, and the biggest is 82 pounds. Lord only knows how many are in there in the 15 to 30 pound range.

They're open from 8:00am to 8:00pm during the week. 24 hours a day on the weekend. It's $8 to fish for 12 hours. You can keep anything under 8 pounds, but have to throw anything over 8 pounds back in the lake. I didn't see anything under 8 pounds........

They have tournaments on the weekend. It's the normal $8 to fish, plus $10 (I think) to get in the pot. Biggest fish wins the pot. I think they also do a side pot where every fish you catch, they put your name in a "hat". End of the night, they do a blind pull for the winner. I may be slightly off on the side pot deal, but I think that's what the girl told me yesterday. I do know that the place has been pretty packed on the weekends and there's been some darn big fish caught.

We tried fishing it today after we watched the stocking. Only got one hit, and that was on a live bream. I never had a chance at the fish because without warning, my pole shot out into the lake and disappeared! I spent the next hour and a half casting another pole out trying to hook the line on the missing pole, with no luck. Right before we left, I decided to walk around the pond and try casting for it again. Another guy fishing happen to hook it, to my relief. And the fish was still on! He ended up wrapping up in something in the middle of the lake, and I had to break the 50 pound line. I was just happy to have gotten my rod back.

While the bite was off today, I can say that there are some NICE cats in this lake! If you're looking for a mess to take home and keep, this may not be the place for you. If you're looking for a place to fish with the very good chance of catching a monster, it's worth the price of $8. Below are some pics of their rules, as well as a couple of me with fish. The big fish is the 42 pounder that went in today. The other is just a baby........

Attachments

• paylake7.jpg
    paylake7.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 7,799
  • paylake6.jpg
    paylake6.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 7,641
  • paylake5.jpg
    paylake5.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 7,618
  • paylake4.jpg
    paylake4.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7,622
  • paylake3.jpg
    paylake3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7,579

cuda67bnl

some more.......

Attachments

• paylake2.jpg
    paylake2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 7,458
  • paylake.jpg
    paylake.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 7,448

doodleflop

A friend of mine has told me about that lake. I'm glad to see someone else brag about it. Might be worth the 1-1/2 hour drive now.

creteus

I drive by it from time to time. Its at the intersection where my boy plays soccer. Its the smallest lake I've ever seen to be a pay lake. Looks pretty cramped to me:huh:

doodleflop

I'll be there Saturday evening/night fishing.

chad smith

That pond is on the corner of hwy 81 and youth Monroe rd? If it is I used to fish that pond every day until around 8 yrs ago and it was full of big bass, I mean monster bass!! That lake was full of green slime on the bottom, all you could do was fish top water, mainly topwater rubber frogs due to all the green moss on top of the water! I have caught many 7,8,9, and 10 LB bass from there, and big jumbo bream! I did fish for catfish once and caught a nice 15 lb flathead out of it! There were also some gigantic crappie in it also!

cuda67bnl

Looks pretty cramped to me:huh:

It is small..... I'm guessing 3 acres, tops.

That pond is on the corner of hwy 81 and youth Monroe rd? That lake was full of green slime on the bottom, all you could do was fish top water, mainly topwater rubber frogs due to all the green moss on top of the water! I have caught many 7,8,9, and 10 LB bass from there, and big jumbo bream! I did fish for catfish once and caught a nice 15 lb flathead out of it! There were also some gigantic crappie in it also!

That's it. Still rather slimy on the bottom too, but nothing on the top. And with all these big cats in it now, there won't be no other fish......

j_seph

I drive by it from time to time. Its at the intersection where my boy plays soccer. Its the smallest lake I've ever seen to be a pay lake. Looks pretty cramped to me:huh:

Most of em are pretty cramped. One of the reasons they have restock em 2 or 3 times a year cause the fish die off.

cuda67bnl

Here's 3 clips that show the stocking if you're bored enough to watch them. At the very end of the 3rd one, I pan out just enough to show the whole pond. By the way, all of these fish came from Santee.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishlipps Revisited

i have 2 things to say.....

1....i want one of those nets!!!...that thing's built like a tank!

2....just say "NO" to crack...:rofl::rofl:

Nastytater

Banned
:biggrin2:I worked my tail off this morning catching all these fish just so they could stock this lake today.:biggrin2:

BassHunter25

A bit more advanced then the DNR that just sling the little trout from the top of the mountain into the stream. Half of them hit the dirt, they said " they'll make it in"

I hope they got a feeding program for all those Cats

fish hawk

Bass Master
Rules are rules but some of those made me laugh!!!Plus there sure is a bunch of em.

Ricky

I laughed everytime I drove past that place,when it first opened.It 'd be packed,all the way around, but it looked like everyone was fishing a 20' x 20' area,in the middle of the pond.

grunt0331

Where is this at?

flip0302

I think the crack was bigger than the fish:bounce::bounce: