Kayak fishing mexico beach

zeke392

You probably could however I like a single hook to put in the nose of the baitfish then a treble to hook near the tail. Kings have good eyes so I wouldn't use anything too heavy.

In Mexico beach they can be caught right off the second sandbar and right passed the buoys. And so can bonito. I usually go out a few hundred yards passed them.

what buoys are you talking about? how far from the beach are you fishing?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If it is too rough, look at the map for a protected sound just west of there.

FYI- Crooked Island Sound (one of my favorite spots for years) is no longer open to the public without a special permit or pass from the base. Homeland security thing.

zeke392

Orange/red buoys running east to west. they are a couple hundred yards off the beach and spaced a few hundred yards apart. Or were a couple years ago......

we were there in early June, the only buoys we seen were a couple like 2 maybe 100yrds off the beach. This was from the canal to down past Toucans. We were between 1/4 mile and 3/4 miles out trolling back and for and seen no buoy line

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
You probably could however I like a single hook to put in the nose of the baitfish then a treble to hook near the tail. Kings have good eyes so I wouldn't use anything too heavy.

I let by trailer hook run free, seems the cigar minnow had better action on it by not hooking it to the tail IMO.

mdgreco191

I plan on shark fishing a good bit. I hope to catch some Spanish to use for bait. What color dusters should I get?

Pink and Blue are the go to colors that I have seen people fish with. Caught two Spanish on a pink duster and dead cigar minnow off of Pensacola.

T-Boy

Kayak Fishing.

If you are fishing out of Kayak and drifting I don't think you need dusters. We use them when trolling 5 to 7 mph but not so much just drifting in a Kayak.

We always bring some frozen cigs and a couple of sabiki's to catch fresh live cigs. (Cigar minnows)

Make you some leaders using about 24 inches of 30lb test 7 strand wire, #4 or #2 trebel hooks, and small black 50lb test swivels. Tie the leader to your main line. 15 to 20lb test is fine and keep a loose drag for that first big run. If possible flip the bail and let the king eat. Sometimes they hit your bait twice. Once to kill it and 2nd to eat what is left.

Hook the cigs through the head or between the eyes if its dead. Toss out and let it drift behind the Yak about 50 feet. I would drift two rods.

Good luck

Attachments

• 7kings.JPG
    7kings.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 137

Tadpole23

Thanks for the information im going to try drifting and slow trolling. Looks to me when just drifting you would catch alot more sharks? Would it be worth bringing my big divers to troll for kings? They are the around 7 to 9 inches and dive to around 15 to 30 feet depending on speed.

T-Boy

Thanks for the information im going to try drifting and slow trolling. Looks to me when just drifting you would catch alot more sharks? Would it be worth bringing my big divers to troll for kings? They are the around 7 to 9 inches and dive to around 15 to 30 feet depending on speed.

You could drift cigs with the current and have another rod in your hand casting to the sides. I would use a 1 ounce spoon or something like an X Rap that only dives down a couple of feet.

Deep divers will wear you out in the gulf. Feeding kings and spanish are mostly close to the surface.

We just move around a lot. Look for diving birds or splashes of feeding fish. You will see large pods of bait fish and it doesn't hurt being close to them.

We start drifting in 15 to 20 feet of water and drift out to 50 feet until we find fish. We have had some great trips and some very slow trips. Its all fun.

Attachments

• sail1.JPG
    sail1.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 127

Latest posts