NewGuyQuestion: 'In comparison :- ),' what is the value of Straight Cut Feathers? Thx

RegularJoe

1st ... allow me to quickly provide 'context' -
1. Am only a few months into Longbow Archery; &
2. i have Advanced Searched the Forum before posting the Q that follows; &
3. i comprehend the ballistic value of right or left cut feather fletching.
Question is:
Compared to right or left cut feather fletching, what are the pros and the cons of straight cut feather fletching.
- Many thanks.

humdandy

Banned
1st ... allow me to quickly provide 'context' -
1. Am only a few months into Longbow Archery; &
2. i have Advanced Searched the Forum before posting the Q that follows; &
3. i comprehend the ballistic value of right or left cut feather fletching.
Question is:
Compared to right or left cut feather fletching, what are the pros and the cons of straight cut feather fletching.
- Many thanks.

I was told mainly preference........but also told parabolic is quieter vs. shield cut. Is this what you are talking about? Mine are parabolic cut.

I have shot both cuts and could not tell a difference.

deast1988

I have both long as it's tuned properly, might have a slight noise on the shield cut.

I like 5in feathers, want all the help I can get. But arrow needs to be tuned first.

Cuts, 3 vs 4 fletch all personal preference.

RegularJoe

I was told mainly preference........but also told parabolic is quieter vs. shield cut. Is this what you are talking about? Mine are parabolic cut.
What you are talking about is mighty interesting, as well;
however, what i am trying to ask about has to do with the feather fletching being mounted in 3 different 'shapes' along the axis of the Arrow.
IF i have this correct (looking from the Nock down the Arrow Shaft toward the Field Point) .....
Right Cut Feathers are mounted with a slight twist to the right.
Left Cut Feathers are mounted with a slight twist to the left.
Straight Cut Feathers are, well.... :biggrin3:, straight away!
So, Right and Left Cuts cause a spin to the Arrow in flight (my understanding of at least some of the value), thus adding some equilibrium similar to a bullet spin.
IF i got the above mostly correct, i am trying to learn what the value of Straight Cut Feather Fletching is cause there'd be no ballistic/equilibrium gain cause there'd be no spin.
And .... with your comment on the Arrow flight being quieter.... perhaps you have already completely told me the value of the Straight Cut ... it is quieter, and your answer just failed to sink into my thick head?!? facepalm:

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
It is strictly a personal preference. Right helical, left helical or straight. It used to be a right handed shooter wanted left, a left handed shooter wanted right. But it really doesn't matter at all. They will all fly good.

Bo73

All feathers are either right wing or left wing. They can be fletched helical or with a straight clamp with a slight offset. Even if oriented perfectly straight down the shaft with no offset the differential drag on the different sides of the feather will still impart spin. This spin is important in stabilizing the arrow especially for shooting broadheads. Make a similar comparison in baseball. A knuckle ball (little to no spin) is hard to hit because the flight is unpredictable. You don't want unpredictable arrow flight with broadheads. Larger fletching does a better job at stabilizing a broadhead especially with a marginally tuned setup. Helical > Straight and Larger > Smaller. That being said 4 inch feathers fletched straight (slight offset) is enough but some people prefer larger feathers or helical fletching or both.

RegularJoe

All feathers are either right wing or left wing. They can be fletched helical or with a straight clamp with a slight offset. Even if oriented perfectly straight down the shaft with no offset the differential drag on the different sides of the feather will still impart spin. This spin is important in stabilizing the arrow especially for shooting broadheads. Make a similar comparison in baseball. A knuckle ball (little to no spin) is hard to hit because the flight is unpredictable. You don't want unpredictable arrow flight with broadheads. Larger fletching does a better job at stabilizing a broadhead especially with a marginally tuned setup. Helical > Straight and Larger > Smaller. That being said 4 inch feathers fletched straight (slight offset) is enough but some people prefer larger feathers or helical fletching or both.

Thank you Sir. :fine:

pine nut

With straight cut I would suppose one might use turkey tail feathers that would be truly straight. True or not? Never tried it myself.

Barebowyer

Bo73 pretty much got it right! Typically, a "straight" fletch will still be done with an offset.

Mudfeather

Bo got it. Even if you glue them straight the type of feather will spin it somewhat. Some guys put a lot of twist, I prefer slight offset but find to much does in fact cause a flutter sound that shouldnt be necessary if you are close to proper tuning.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
With wood arrows I shoot left wing. It seems to help bring the arrow paradox back to straight quicker. With arrows using screw in points I use a slight offset to the right to help keep points from getting loose. The arrow turns into the threads which keeps them tight.
Jeff