Some help in the Flint

Alcaraz

Hello friends!
I’m David from Spain.
I will be about 20 days this next August in Alpharetta visiting my sister and brother in law. They will be working during the week, so I will have free time. You can read my introduction here…
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=918008
There is still a lot of time, but I want to do it well.
I have learnt about license and private property but I am not sure about specific fishing questions.
I want to ask you some things that I´m going to split in a few concrete posts for not mixing things…
I´m planning for something a little different than bass and trout fishing I can do here. And one of them is wading for shoal bass. I am only interested in lure fishing. I will only do catch and release.
I will be in the Atlanta metro, the upper Chattahoochee, and the Flint.
Here comes my questions:
-In the Flint, what spot will be better for wading? Sprewell or Big Lazer? I have read there´s free tent camping in Big Lazer, is it safe to pass the night there?
-I will have to buy a rod and I´m thinking in a medium fast baitcasting rod in the 1/4-3/4oz range. I know you use spinning for this pourpose, but I want to go baitcasting, Is it possible? Anyway, I will take one 2500 spinning real with me if things come hard.
-I will carry an V-shaped float tube in the luggage and there is a launching service in Flint River Outdoors Center offering 5, 10 and 20 miles trips (this last one includes right for tent camping in Goat Mountain) what do you think about it? I usually do up to 7-10 miles trips fishing in still water but in a river there is a lot of corners to put a bait, so I think more than 5 miles a day could be too much… Will a float tube be safe in this portion of the Flint?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much!
PD: Fishing buddies are welcome, of course!

fish hawk

Bass Master
Hello friends!
I’m David from Spain.
I will be about 20 days this next August in Alpharetta visiting my sister and brother in law. They will be working during the week, so I will have free time. You can read my introduction here…
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=918008
There is still a lot of time, but I want to do it well.
I have learnt about license and private property but I am not sure about specific fishing questions.
I want to ask you some things that I´m going to split in a few concrete posts for not mixing things…
I´m planning for something a little different than bass and trout fishing I can do here. And one of them is wading for shoal bass. I am only interested in lure fishing. I will only do catch and release.
I will be in the Atlanta metro, the upper Chattahoochee, and the Flint.
Here comes my questions:
-In the Flint, what spot will be better for wading? Sprewell or Big Lazer? I have read there´s free tent camping in Big Lazer, is it safe to pass the night there?
-I will have to buy a rod and I´m thinking in a medium fast baitcasting rod in the 1/4-3/4oz range. I know you use spinning for this pourpose, but I want to go baitcasting, Is it possible? Anyway, I will take one 2500 spinning real with me if things come hard.
-I will carry an V-shaped float tube in the luggage and there is a launching service in Flint River Outdoors Center offering 5, 10 and 20 miles trips (this last one includes right for tent camping in Goat Mountain) what do you think about it? I usually do up to 7-10 miles trips fishing in still water but in a river there is a lot of corners to put a bait, so I think more than 5 miles a day could be too much… Will a float tube be safe in this portion of the Flint?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much!
PD: Fishing buddies are welcome, of course!
The flint is a awesome fishery with beautiful scenery.In August you can expect low water conditions on the flint which makes for some great wading conditions, not so much for the floating part though but it can still be done.I wouldn't recommend a float tube but rather a kayak instead,the flint river outdoor center also rents canoes and provides shuttle services.Both the WMA and Sprewell Bluff are great locations for wading.The campground on the WMA is very close to the lake and is a safe place although it is primitive with no water hook ups or electricity.A medium/fast action baitcasting combo works well on the flint but a spinning setup will also come in handy for throwing smaller,lighter lures.I fish the flint river a good bit and know how to catch shoal bass so hit me up a couple weeks before your in the states and we can put a trip together.If you have any questions on lures,tactics or tackle setup I'll be happy to help.

Alcaraz

Thank you, FH, this is a lot of help. You have clarified things a lot for me!
I´m related to fishing in current due to some years flyfishing for trout in streams so I think I will know where fish stay in moving water, I hope the river will teach me the rest (and give me some doubts too!)
Definetly, I will carry my spinning reel in the vest!
I will think in rent a kayak, I have no experience with them, but I think I can do it.
I will hit you up for sure! It would be great to spend some time with a local fisherman and not fishing alone, but you would have to be so patient with my english skills hahaha!
One thing not fishing related: when is the blooming period for spider lilies in the Flint? It would be marvellous if I could see them in bloom.

Tmpr111

I'm not an arborist but I think it depends on the version, the shoal spider lily is May-ish?

There are many good folks on this forum (like FH himself) that have a plethora of knowledge to pick from! Good luck on the Flint.

almoore

I think you'll have the most fun if you bring a fly rod. I can set you up with a spinning or fly rod if needed. I will send you a private message. August is too late for the spider lillies. The Flint is breathtaking when they are blooming but still nice even when not. You also can chase shoalies on the Chattahoochee in the N. Ga mountains and also the Chattahoochee tailwater in north Atlanta. I love Spain although don't speak the language. Have walked about half the French Way of the Camino de Santiago and hope to go back this fall.

Alcaraz

Oh, what a pitty about spider lilies! I really wanted to see them in bloom! But I am sure I will enjoy the Flint anyway!
Thanks for the offering and the info! Perhaps, I will take a 7'6" 3wt 4pc with me in the luggage but if I do it, it will be to take a try with the bream we have only little pumpkinseed (Lepomis Gibbosus) here and I think It would be interesting to meet your other and bigger bream species.
I defenitly go baitcasting or (if it fails) spinning, but some fly casts can be funny as well!
I know the spots you are telling to me and they are in my fishing plan in addition to some float tube fishing in still water and a trip to meet some smallmouth action in Tn or NC.
Almoore, you know the north of Spain, the South is very interesting too.

Damidgede

You can also rent canoe from Flint River council Boy Scouts. They have a camp right on the Flint in Woodbury. I have floated from there down to Sprewell in a day, but you wont get a great deal of fishing in during the float as its about a 12 mile float and in August you will do some dragging. They are cheaper then the Outdoor Center for shuttling and in my opnion more accommodating. Reach out once you have a better idea of your trip details and I would be happy to float a time or 2 with you, and I can bring and extra kayak along for your use as well. The Flint is hands down the river you want to be on in Georgia for Shoal bass.

Alcaraz

I early realized I must be in the Flint and I will check the Boy Scouts option! I will give you a call too,Damidgede!
Thank you very much!

Alcaraz

And I have to add that I hardly believe all the help you are giving to me. Kayaks, rods, friendship...
My sister told me: “this is South, everyone is always ready to give a hand”

Alcaraz

Hello, friends!
My arrival date is getting closer!!! (I am arriving on August the 7th and I want to be fishing the 8th).
But I have an issue... the more I open my weather app, the more worried I get... what a rainy country!!!
Please, is there any web to check Flint river levels?
What levels are fine for wade fishing?
Thank you very much!!!!

Big L

This has been an unusual rainy summer in South Georgia and probably the Atlanta area too. River levels are available at several government sites; I use Southeast River Forecast Center----search serfc on Google. Good luck in your quests!
L

BDD

Call the Flint River Outdoor Center 706-647-2633 and ask the river level.
You should be fine in Aug , but a level 7.5 feet or below is good. The main thing is the
Dirty water after a large rain, It takes days to weeks too clear up. It’s makes it hard to
Wade if you can’t see the bottom.

Alcaraz

Thank you, BDD and BigL.
I think a phone call might be too much for my english skills, but I have found a web with the info! Jajaja!
Those 7.5 feet will be a good reference for me.
Thanks a lot!

BDD

I’m not sure how the 7.5 feet will relate to the web site. The 7.5 feet relates to a scale they
Painted on the bridge at the Outdoor Center, it’s kind of a local indicator. But, unless we have a
Hurricane or tropical storm come thru the water level is usually good in Aug.
The Outdoor Center also rents canoes and will shuttle you 4.5 miles upstream , and you have the rest of the day
To float back to the center. You really don’t need much in the way of canoeing skills, as I’ve
Seen many float it , which was probably their first time in a canoe. Just bring a cooler with food and drinks
And tie everything down.

Alcaraz

Damidgede, that’s the page I found, but I had not found that index. Thank you!
BDD, thanks for the advise! At least, it is a help. Anyway, I will check levels daily to know how the river usually runs. I know FROC, thanks too.

Alcaraz

Yes, I realized after posting! I don’t have to check it dailly! Ah ah ah!
I didn’t know about the median data, good info!
Thank you too Almoore!

BDD

Well David, only a few days away from your arrival and things aren’t looking good for the water level and quality.
We had many inches of rain in the Flint basin over the last few days and more to come over the next few days. It will take at least a week
For the river to get back to normal once the rain stops.

TBI

The Flint won't be fit to fish or float until at least mid August and that's IF we don't get any more big rain between now and then. This has been the wettest July in memory.