Floyd Robbins' bird carvings

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Everything in these photos was carved--shotshells, leaves, grass, limbs, etc. All birds are life sized. The wrens' nesting can is carved wood. Amazing work.
DSC_0025-Copy_zpsf8bf801e.jpg

DSC_0067-Copy_zps792ee5d5.jpg

DSC_0073_zps92a855e8.jpg

DSC_0089_zps2183dccd.jpg

DSC_0098-Copy_zps3c75d705.jpg

DSC_0126-Copy_zps1212e873.jpg

DSC_0129-Copy_zps8dd4210b.jpg

DSC_0189_zps23952c51.jpg

DSC_0192_zps4f045943.jpg

DSC_0212_zps55f24cd4.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve never seen anything like that in my life. That is pure master workmanship.

GLS

The late Gilbert Maggioni of Beaufort SC pioneered this style of individual feather carving 50 years or so ago. Grainger McCoy became well known as the leading disciple of the Maggioni school of bird carving, but Floyd IMO is just as talented, but not as well known.

Coach K

amazing work!

Sam H

WOW....Again!!!.....Do I dare ask prices?.....Website?

GLS

Sam, Floyd can take weeks to do a single piece. This is his sole income. His pieces show up in Thomasville and throughout the country. Years ago, one customer sent his jet from California over here to deliver the check and pick up the piece. He met the jet at the airport. I have never felt comfortable asking him the prices, because I am in no position to buy one. I understand they vary from piece to piece depending on complexity. He doesn't have a web presence. It's all word of mouth. He had a two month show last year at the Telfair (Jepson) in Savannah. The curator overheard numerous visitors commenting on the quality of the "taxidermy" not realizing they were carved. Gil

Last edited:

Sam H

Sam, Floyd can take weeks to do a single piece. This is his sole income. His pieces show up in Thomasville and throughout the country. Years ago, one customer sent his jet from California over here to deliver the check and pick up the piece. He met the jet at the airport. I have never felt comfortable asking him the prices, because I am in no position to buy one. I understand they vary from piece to piece depending on complexity. He doesn't have a web presence. It's all word of mouth. He had a two month show last year at the Telfair (Jepson) in Savannah. The curator overheard numerous visitors commenting on the quality of the "taxidermy" not realizing they were carved. Gil

Gil....I had to ask....And I'm in the same boat as you about affording one of his piece's....It's like the old saying..."If you have to ask the price , you can't afford it"...BTW..FWIW...I found a blog where it said..."His carvings generally, take no less than a month to comlete(depending) and start at around $7000....gulp...Point made and well taken

GLS

Sam, I believe that a simple "dead" bird piece would be lower. The complexity drives up the price.
Here are a few more from his show last year. Local collectors' birds were displayed.
floydbirdtrio_zpsd10faa45.jpg

floydyellowlegs_zps9349b073.jpg

floydsharpshin_zps6e2a9295.jpg

floydsharpshincloseup_zpsa950a160.jpg

floydkingfisher_zps6cb0c91e.jpg

floydhummingbird_zpsb0f1decf.jpg

floyddoveonlimb_zps839c88f0.jpg

floyddove_zps556a9a2b.jpg

floyddovepreening_zpsb698988e.jpg

floydfinch_zps27b97ce4.jpg

muckalee

whatever the price, it is fair. Thats some amazin artwork.

Mighty Fine suh, mighty fine!!!!