Is this a liquor still?

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had so much on hand one time that I used it to light charcoal. It ain't cheap anymore. I was at a fancy ski resort in the Poconos and a fellow heard my voice and handed me a flask. I told him it was familiar. Some of West Virginias finest he told me. It was good.

Gary Mercer

They flavor it up now days. Peach, Apple, Cherries.
Not bad really...Let's see what is this in the cabinet?
HMMM? Cool nite, long day on Wedowee, maybe something a little medicinal...perfecto nite for apple.
Sleep well, Y'all.

Davey

You can get it in liquor stores now.Tim Smith's 4 or 5 generation passed down is pretty good stuff and 90 proof.

foxwatcher

You can get it in liquor stores now.Tim Smith's 4 or 5 generation passed down is pretty good stuff and 90 proof.
I think it's more fun for them to pretend we are still living in Prohibition, and that dagumbed revenuer is out for them. Heading down to Knoxville with his weekly load and what not... Forget the fact that liquor stores exist everywhere and sell a finer product...they ain't catchin my pappy! :rofl: :rofl:

Anvil Head

Just attend a backwoods mountain man birthday party. Everyone that's anyone brings their best. Can't be impolite so take a sip. Once you make the rounds and find out watsadoin, you're gonna be "staggerlee" if you don't watch out. Makes gravity your best friend.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's more fun for them to pretend we are still living in Prohibition, and that dagumbed revenuer is out for them. Heading down to Knoxville with his weekly load and what not... Forget the fact that liquor stores exist everywhere and sell a finer product...they ain't catchin my pappy! :rofl: :rofl:

The fact that liquor stores exist has nothing to do with it. I like bourbon, I like Scotch, but you can't buy good white likker in a likker store. They sell a few different brands of that "legal moonshine" crap, but none of it tastes anything even remotely like the real stuff that's made right. Most of it is absolutely horrible. If some junk like that is all you've ever tried, I can see why you think the way you do.

Bad white likker is nasty, but good white likker is much better than any liquor of any kind you can buy in a store, in the opinion of a lot of folks. Tradition is part of the equation, but demand for a quality, unique product is the big part of it. There are a lot of folks who like the flavor, purity, and quality of good white likker, and will pay a good price for it. That's why people keep making it.

ripplerider

There are remains of an old still on Flat Creek in Peachtree City.
The remains are on the golf course, and are somewhat preserved. There is still a brick foundation where the kettles sat.
There was an old grist mill about 250 yards upstream of the still, that probably was the source of the raw materials. The mill caught fire in the late 80s and burned. About all that remains are the foundation piers. I was in the mill long before it burned, and all the equipment was gone. ( I was told that the Mill was the Huddleston family's, but can't verify that.)
There was a small dirt road that skirted the flanks of Greer' Mountain, and dead-ended into the mill yard, portions of which are still visible from the nearby cart path.
It is easy to visualize how the folks at the mill could see folks coming up the road, and how thick the swamp used to be downstream of the mill.
When I first moved to Peachtree City, my doctor in Fayetteville was Ferrol Sams. He grew up in Fayette County, and wrote three books about his youth there. He said his daddy used to get whiskey from the man who owned the Mill.
It was a regular item in the back room of the barber shop in Fayetteville where some of the town's gentlemen would meet to play poker and swap lies.
Sorry, didn't mean to run on like that.
Gary
PS. One of the Best books I have ever read was by Dr. Sams, and was call "Run with the Horsemen." It will make you laugh and cry, and wonder at the way folks lived here in Georgia back in the 20s/30s.

I'm a big fan of Ferrol Sams too, would love to have met him. I've read everything he ever wrote. I dont drink anymore but if someone was to set down a half-gallon of that good apple brandy we used to get back in the early '80s in front of me I'd be sorely tested. We got it from the brother of a sheriff a couple of counties over and it was unbelievably smooth yet potent as all get-out. Was sitting in his house one Sunday morning (been up all night playing cards) when a man came to the door in a suit and tie. Bootlegger sold him a quart which was unusual since he usually sold nothing less than a half-gallon. When he left boot told us he was the pastor of a nearby church. Said he liked to have a couple of gulps then get up on the pulpit and "lay it off" meaning preach his heart out. Sure did hate it when he got too old to make it anymore, he tried taking on a couple of young apprentices but they scorched the first batch and he shut down. Wasnt going to be associated with bad likker.