Optima v2 all over the place!

jp94

Got her sighted in as best I could at 100 yards. 6 shots in a 2.75 inch circle. I guess that will do for now. I ran out of sabots or I would have tweeked it a little more. I will work on it a little more this week to see if I can get the group down a little tighter. Never thought it would make such a difference just mixing primers, powder combinations, but I am a believer now.

Thanks to everyone for there help with this issue.

J Gilbert

Just read through this after having 2 guys that I hunt with had the same issue with their Optimas recently- they called CVA and were told that it was likely the scope rings and that they recommend to only shoot 100gr of powder in them. Either way, they were both sent new scopes and rings to try, and I'll have them try your method from the bench- they were using a lead sled before.

Have you tested accuracy from a more field-type rest other than the doe you shot? Just wondering how that would effect accuracy as well.

ryanh487

Got her sighted in as best I could at 100 yards. 6 shots in a 2.75 inch circle. I guess that will do for now. I ran out of sabots or I would have tweeked it a little more. I will work on it a little more this week to see if I can get the group down a little tighter. Never thought it would make such a difference just mixing primers, powder combinations, but I am a believer now.

Thanks to everyone for there help with this issue.

Be sure to buy the exact same brand, style, and weight sabot unless you want to sight it in all over again!

Glad you got it to calm down, those things get tiresome to shoot after a while.

flatheadpatrol

Ley me preface: I am a rookie with the black powder/muzzle loader.
I've had a CVA Optima Mag for 7-8 years. I called CVA due to the various recommendations on load combos. They fellow I spoke to at CVA 7-8 years ago recommended 2 pellets, a 245 grain sabot, and 209 primer. I don't really get into it as I might get to use it one year, then not the next, but that combo has been good for me.

Castandcall

Even though its a magnum gun the paper inside my pack of Pyrodex pellets says don't use 3 in your gun because they may be more than 50 grains each. Told a guy at work this once after he blew up his rifle using them and wanted to sue his gun maker. He felt like a fool when I showed him the paper that comes in the pack.

Castandcall

Straight from the website.

MAXIMUM LOAD WARNING

45 and 50 CALIBER RIFLE:
45 Caliber Pellets come in one size: 50 grain
50 Caliber Pellets come in two (2) sizes:
50 grain volume equivalent which equals 50 grains of loose powder by volume.
30 grain volume equivalent which equals 30 grains of loose powder by volume.

The maximum load per shot should never exceed total Pellets containing more than 100 grains volume equivalent. That means, no more than:
45 Caliber 1) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets
2) Three (3) 44/45 caliber 30 grain
50 Caliber 1) Three (3) 30 grain Pellets, or
2) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets, or
3) One (1) 50 grain Pellet and one (1) 30 grain Pellet

54 CALIBER RIFLE:
54 Caliber Pyrodex Pellets come in one size only:
60 grain volume equivalent which equals 60 grains of loose powder by volume.

The maximum load per shot should never exceed 120 grains (2) Pellets.

44/45 CALIBER PISTOL:
The maximum load per each revolver chamber should never exceed one (1) revolver Pellet. Exceeding maximum load may cause damage to the firearm and cause personal injury or death to the shooter or bystanders.

* At no time should the shooter exceed the firearm manufacturers recommended maximum load. If there is a question concerning the firearm maximum load, please contact the firearm manufacturer for guidance