Blast from the past- old tobacco barn

fishingtiger

I was home at my parent's house in Mullins, SC over the weekend and took some time to explore around my dad's farm. Discovered an old curing tobacco barn that I never knew existed. Surprisingly, it was in really good shape. Here are a few pics. Also, took a pic of the old Walters Tobacco Company processing warehouse. Sad to see such neat structures being eroded by time.

Attachments

• Barn.jpg
    Barn.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 856
  • Barn2.jpg
    Barn2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 856
  • Barn3.jpg
    Barn3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 857
  • Tobacco1.jpg
    Tobacco1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 852

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That brings back a lot of memories. Ain`t that right, Jimmy!

BriarPatch99

Sure does Nic ...

It was "fun" getting those sticks of tobacco up in the crow's roost ... the short tier poles in the peak of the roof ...

I had bad words for the flue pipes of the old coal/wood fired barns ... until I slipped off a tier pole and landed flat of my back on one ... I walked away sore ... but the out come could have ended much different...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This tie horse is older`n me. The baccer sticks still smell like flue cured baccer, and it`s been over 25 years since we`ve grown any.

Attachments

• tiehoss.jpg
    tiehoss.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 757

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've spent many of a hot day up on the top tier of a bakker barn.

fishingtiger

I had the pleasure of working in the tobacco warehouse during the summers. While it was hard, hot work, it was nothing like my friends who spent their summers in the field suckering and croppin tobacco. I did that a few times and thought that suckerin tobacco was the worst job on the planet.

I remember my dad riding me out to the farm at night after dinner and all of the workers and their whole family would be loading up those barns after croppin tobacco all day long. It was definitely a family affair.

BriarPatch99

We'd haul water out of the creek in tar barrels (the night before)... dump with foot tubs into the floor of the barn ...to get the tobacco "in order" ... then get up at 4am and take out the tobacco ... just in time to put a full barn again that same day...

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
As a kid. I help tear down 2 for the wood. I pulled nails. :)

Dirtroad Johnson

We'd haul water out of the creek in tar barrels (the night before)... dump with foot tubs into the floor of the barn ...to get the tobacco "in order" ... then get up at 4am and take out the tobacco ... just in time to put a full barn again that same day...

Yeah taking out a barn of tobacco before the day even got going wasn't unusual back in those ol stick days. I cherish those days & glad to have experienced them but I didn't look forward to getting up early enough to empty a barn before the day's harvest when I was a young'n.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I liked all but the suckering. That was the most tiresome, aggravating work I`ve ever done in my life. Every hour spent doing that was time I could have spent redfin fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I liked all but the suckering. That was the most tiresome, aggravating work I`ve ever done in my life. Every hour spent doing that was time I could have spent redfin fishing.

And the hoeing. And the topping. And the cutting. and etc. :D We grew burly, so you had about 6-8 whole big stalks of backer, stem, leaves, and all on a stick to hang up there in the tier poles.

Dirtroad Johnson

This tie horse is older`n me. The baccer sticks still smell like flue cured baccer, and it`s been over 25 years since we`ve grown any.

Nic I haven't seen one of those ol tie horses in decades, that's exactly the same as we used. Does bring back a lot of fund memories of that time period.

BriarPatch99

Here is a Log tobacco barn that sits in my back yard ... It was built sometime around 1920 ... I've handed and hung tobacco in it when I was young ... it was wood fired when it was first built ... but later changed to kerosene "Silent Flame" cookers ...

It's life is just about over ... but soon will be a century old before long ... just can't tear it down ...

fishingtiger

Here is a Log tobacco barn that sits in my back yard ... It was built sometime around 1920 ... I've handed and hung tobacco in it when I was young ... it was wood fired when it was first built ... but later changed to kerosene "Silent Flame" cookers ...

It's life is just about over ... but soon will be a century old before long ... just can't tear it down ...

That is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! You should save some of those logs before they all rot away.

Dirtroad Johnson

I don't think I could tear it down either BP but if I ever did I'd probably have something built with those logs on the place. :cheers: Love them kind of ol structures.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic I haven't seen one of those ol tie horses in decades, that's exactly the same as we used. Does bring back a lot of fund memories of that time period.

I`m glad I was able to save that one, and an armload of sticks. I wish I had been able to save a sheet or two, but they had about rotted down to nothing.

Jimmy, thank you again for showing me your old barns when I came over. Those are treasures of a time past. :cheers: