The State of Georgia and what it did for WWII

Toccoa Trained airborne units that Fought all over the world.
Fort Benning infantry, armor training. Airborne school.
Fort Stewart. Trained Anti aircraft gunners.
Fort Gordon , Tenth Armored Division. The other unit at Bastogne.
Savannah , Hunter field. Now Hunter Army Air Field.
Home of the Eighth Airforce.

Georgia coast was a U boat battlefield.

Artfuldodger

Liberty ships were built in Brunswick;

"During World War II, Brunswick shipyards bustled with activity critical to America's war efforts. Between 1943 and 1945, the shipyard built 99 of these 447-foot cargo vessels. With no name painted on their bows thus preventing the enemy from detecting the vessels' mission or cargo, these ships sailed the Atlantic and Pacific loaded with equipment and supplies."

http://www.goldenisles.com/lore-legends-of-golden-isles/liberty-ships

Oldstick

I believe there was a POW camp in Macon.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Mom worked at the Augusta Arsenal. They made munitions and repaired weapons. Wiki syas they put in 50 new buildings and employer around 1,000 for the war effort. It is now the site of Augusta University.

fishtail

Georgia coast was a U boat battlefield.
My grandmother was one of those witnesses that viewed it from Jekyll Island.
At the time it was deemed "in the interest of national security, to not speak of it".

It was an oil tanker, the ESSO Gettysberg attacked by U-66 on June 10 1943 at 8 PM. The ship burned throughout the night, it took a couple of days to sink completely.
https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/2949.html

Last edited:

Walker44

My Dad was in the Mighty 8th stationed in England. He went to the Mighty 8th museum in Pooler and they let him in for free.

http://www.mightyeighth.org/

There was little flight training schools throughout Georgia. Spence Field in Moultrie and a smaller one in Douglas;

http://wwiiflighttraining.org/
n If you have not taken the time to visit the mighty 8th you are surely missing out on one of the most interesting and well developed sites in GA --- Price line always has cut rate decent hotels near the site at the airport and you can always convince the wife you can have dinner in Savannaha go there:cool:

Walker44

Toccoa Trained airborne units that Fought all over the world.
Fort Benning infantry, armor training. Airborne school.
Fort Stewart. Trained Anti aircraft gunners.
Fort Gordon , Tenth Armored Division. The other unit at Bastogne.
Savannah , Hunter field. Now Hunter Army Air Field.
Home of the Eighth Airforce.
Taccoa 3 mile up 3 miles back too bad that the city was never able to cash in on the history after the HBO series I have gone there several times it peaceful Well worth a trip Recently the site has obtained a cabin from the UK that housed the Taccoa team prior to D day they carved their initials in the beams

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Taccoa 3 mile up 3 miles back too bad that the city was never able to cash in on the history after the HBO series I have gone there several times it peaceful Well worth a trip Recently the site has obtained a cabin from the UK that housed the Taccoa team prior to D day they carved their initials in the beams

They hold 2 10k runs each year up Currahee. One the first Saturday in June, and the other in October. The first is the D-Day run, the other they call Currahee Challenge. My daughter has won those races a totally of 7 times. They got a C47 a few weeks ago. They are tracing the history of the plane now, and will be using it as a static display at the Camp.

You are correct that Toccoa hasn't capitalized on the Band of Brothers movie, or the other 2 movies made of the 506th soldiers. I wish they could do more, but there isn't a lot of community support for it, and they run the museum here on a shoestring

Artfuldodger

n If you have not taken the time to visit the mighty 8th you are surely missing out on one of the most interesting and well developed sites in GA --- Price line always has cut rate decent hotels near the site at the airport and you can always convince the wife you can have dinner in Savannaha go there:cool:

Sounds like a plan to me. Maybe eat some shrimp and grits.

Below Savannah was an Army air field. In mid-1942, the Army Air Force decided to build a base at Harris Neck. On 5 January 1945, the airfield was turned over to the United States Navy and remained under its control until 1962. Now it's a wildlife refuge. Today, remnants of cracked and vegetated mile-long asphalt runways, taxiways, munitions bunker and revetments are evidence that the area was once an airfield. The water fountain and pool near Thomas Landing were dependencies of Livingston House, formerly the estate of Pierre Llorilard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Neck_Army_Air_Field

Last edited:
Three Army units were pivotal in the holding of Bastogne. We all know about the 506th parachute infantry regiment. Now The 501st parachute infantry regiment was part of the 101st Airborne Division. The 501 and the 506 PIR were trained at Toccoa .You also had combat command B 10th Armored also in Bastogne. Along with the rest of the 101 Airborne units. The three units all started in Georgia or were home based in Georgia. Although not active the 10 th Armored division is home based at Fort Gordon to this day. These units along with the rest of the 101 were the main reason Bastogne did not fall to the Germans.