Smoothbore muzzleloader question

Possum

Banned
Somebody gave me a double barrel 12 gau muzzleloader with all the stuff I need for it like shot, powder, wads and such. Can someone help me figure out how to shoot this thing without blowing myself up! What powder do I use...FF, FFF or FFFF ? How much powder? How much shot? It came with thin wads and thick wads... which goes between the powder and shot and which goes on top of the shot? Any advise, please.
Thanks, Shawn

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Possum, I don`t have a lot of experience with smoothbore shotguns, but I do know this. DO NOT EVER PUT ANY FFFF
(4 F) DOWN THE BARREL OF ANY FRONTLOADER!!!
It is for primin` the pan of a flintlock ONLY.

The gun will probably use FF (2 F) powder down the barrel. You can probably get in touch with the manufacturer for a loadin` program.

Possum

Banned
Thanks, Nick
I guess I could have really blown myself up!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s entirely possible!! 4 F is ground very fine and burns so fast that the gun won`t be able to stand the pressure. Don`t do any experimentin` till you have the proper loadin` info. It ain`t worth the price you might pay.

Slug-Gunner

Measure By VOLUME Only....

Somebody gave me a double barrel 12 gau muzzleloader with all the stuff I need for it like shot, powder, wads and such. Can someone help me figure out how to shoot this thing without blowing myself up! What powder do I use...FF, FFF or FFFF ? How much powder? How much shot? It came with thin wads and thick wads... which goes between the powder and shot and which goes on top of the shot? Any advise, please.
Thanks, Shawn

I'm not that familiar with ML shotguns, but can answer a couple of your questions.

The loading sequence is measure (by volume) powder, then thick wad (tamped on top of powder),measured shot, and then the thin wad on top to hold the shot in.

Does the gun use percussion caps or does it have a frizzen powder pan (like with a flintlock)?

One thing to remember is that when measuring powder for any muzzle-loading weapon that you measure BY VOLUME and NOT BY WEIGHT!

I agree with Nicodemus, do not try to shoot the gun until you have the proper load data available for the gun. If it has damascus twist steel barrels, be even more cautious with your loads.

NOTE OF CAUTION:
Since the gun was given to you, first VERIFY THAT THERE IS NO CHARGE IN THE BARRELS before you try loading it.

Once it is determined what type of ignition system is used and whether it has percussion cap nipples.... and where they are located, we can possibly give ways of checking this.

choctawlb

Possum,
The 12 guage will shoot a .690 patched round ball over 90 grains of FFg powder or a charge of 80 grains of FFg powder,followed by an over powder wad, (the thicker of the 2), then an 80 gr. measure full of shot, topped off with a over shot wad (the thinner white one). I've been shooting a CVA double caplock for years. If I can be of any further help , let me know.

Possum

Banned
The gun is not loaded, as a matter of fact its never been fired. It takes percussion caps. Im at work and dont have it with me but I think its made by Navy Arms. It has double triggers, thats all I know right now. It sure is a beutiful gun.

choctawlb

The CVA I've got will hit a 4" circle at 60 yds about every shot with the right barrel using just the bead to sight with. The left barrel is a little low and to the left. I've killed several deer with it, they pretty much just go down where shot. Does yours have screw in chokes, or a choked barrel?Mine is both barrels inproved cylinder. The loading information for mine came with the gun from CVA. Always use the same volumetric measurement of shot to powder, or just a little more shot than powder. If you go a heavier powder to shot ratio, the patterns will start spreading. Like Nick said, don't go any finer than FFg powder.

The traditional rule for blackpowder muzzle loading shotguns was to use an equal VOLUME of shot and powder. By traditional, I mean way old timey. I've never loaded one, but I have friends that target shoot, and use this formula very succesfully.

Couple of ways to do this. One is to get an adjustable powded measure, and using a scale, determine your shot charge (1 oz., 1 1/8 oz., etc) and use that for powder and shot.

You can get one of the basic Lee Loaders for shotshells and use the measures provided with that.

Rifle powder is the powder used for shotguns.