Consider This

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
My house is located adjacent to a rather pleasant mountain stream.

I have noted that there is a seasonal aspect to the clarity of the water. In the wintertime, the water will be as clear as the water flowing from my spring. This of course assumes that there have been no recent heavy rains.

On the other hand, in the summertime the stream will have a slight murky cast to it. This is true even though there have been no recent rains.

Question: What explanation would you offer as to why there is a seasonal difference in the clarity of the water???

Vernon

Handgunner

Not as many kids swimming in it to muddy it up during the winter... :D:bounce:

I don't know, Vernon. Other than maybe there's no new growth during the winter causing the water to cloudy up... from the new plants and such. :huh:

TurkeyProof

Maybe

The presence of pollen, in large numbers could be a factor in water clarity.
Fish and frogs spawning with the addition of pollen is my answer. The water being clear in the winter is why I think this way. :D

GeauxLSU

Doesn't warmer water suspend (hold) more disolved particulates than colder water? I never took physics. :huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

DC-08

I believe in the summer the warmer water allows for the nutrients to promote growth such as algae blooms and I believe when the leaves fall it creates tannic acid which would also inhibit growth.

DC

CAL

Mr.Holt,

I would think as others have posted that the increase in temperture and the longer days with more daylight hrs.causes the sap to rise in all plants that were dormant during winter.The trees draw more water from the ground,algae begins to grow,you also have runoff from other processes that were not operating in the winter.

I know trees have a tremendous affect on the watertable.We pump water from a local 8 acre pond at the rate of 1100 gallons per.minute.We can hardly change the overflow.All the timber was cut from around the pond in an area of 150 acres and we now have to be very careful not to pump it dry!!

southernclay

I think it has something to do with the warmer water eroding the dirt from the walls of the stream faster/easier than colder water. And the ground temperatures have some effect as well. Warmer dirt equals looser dirt?
I think it is really a combination of all of the things mentioned but mostly mine, I'm sure of it,j/k. :bounce:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Some very good rationale expressed here. Several good points were touched on, but the basic cause was not quite uncovered. Guess we would have to credit Phil with coming very close to revealing the basic answer. If he had only taken physics!!

The answer to the question does relate to the temperature differential between winter and summer, and the effect that temp has on water clarity.

As the ambient temperature and the suns radiation warms the water in spring and summer, the individual molecules which make up the basic structure of all matter (whether liquid, solid, or gaseous) are set in motion. This motion of the individual molecules in water is sufficient to prevent tiny dissolved particles (including silt, clay, etc) from settling out of the water. These tiny particles are held in suspension by the molecular movement of the H2O (water), and thus cause the water to have a slight murky appearance.

In the wintertime when the water is very cold, the molecular movement of water is slowed to the point where this movement has little effect in keeping minute particles suspended. The particles succumb to the effect of gravity and settle to the stream bed, leaving the water relatively clear.

The factors which were mentioned in your answers are indeed part of the big picture (pollen, algae, silt), but most of these items would eventually settle out of streams were it not for their being held in suspension by the movement of water molecules.

Thanks to all for your participation. I should mention that DC-08 operates a water treatment plant and thus had some advantage at the outset.

Vernon

GeauxLSU

Physics again!

Vernon Holt said:
Guess we would have to credit Phil with coming very close to revealing the basic answer. If he had only taken physics!!
:banginghe
Maybe I should take a night class.... :eek:
Thanks again for another intersting tidbit about our great outdoors Mr. Vernon! :clap: I knew there was a reason I never saw a penguin swim in muddy water. :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil