Muzzler loader barrel question

JD

I have a Lyman 50 cal. muzzle loader I got close to 20 years ago. I was alot younger then and last time I shot it I didn't clean the bore. Well, its been in the closet a good 15 years without being shot. Bought a safe the other day and was moving it into it and seen that the inside of the bore was pretty rusty. Is this something that will be easy to fix or should I say clean. I am thinking of selling it because I never use it anymore. I have a new inline (which I keep the bore spotless) now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

timetohunt

You might want to try that CVA Barrel Blaster Wonder Gel and a copper bore brush. If you work at it long enough it might work.

WTM45

Once a barrel is pitted, it can not be fixed unless it is re-bored to a larger caliber. Some tubes do not have the steel necessary to do that.
Some pitted bores still shoot OK. You have to try it and see.

Soak the bore in Hoppes #9, and get to work with the brush and steel wool. You might be suprised at the results!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d have it checked by a competent gunsmith.

P

potsticker

Nic is right, even that those barrels are thick and heavy, they will get pitted and rust. An x ray may reveal the barrel looks as though termites have been at work. A good cleaning, then an inspection from a gunsmith would be the safe thing.