Hunt with "dirty" barrel or "clean" ?

rayjay

Leupold 36X, Sinclair base, Farley Compact joystick rest, Bald Eagle bunny ear bag with donut. 6ppc Viper RBLP drop port, Kreiger bbl. This gun boggles my mind and it's nowhere near sorted out yet as far as the load and bullet seating depth. Plus, with me shooting it there is no telling where the next bullet is going.

At our match last Saturday ScottD's 100 yd groups were:
His 100 yd winning agg [ average ] was .2442

The smallest 100 yd group was a .094. The smallest 200 yd group was a .386

For comparison purposes the group in the pic measures a .4xx counting the fouling shot. The 4 in actual group is a low .1xx

OkieHunter

I alway's shoot a couple of foulers through my rifles before hunting with them or target shooting for that matter a rifle will shoot consistant after the barrel is fouled

BookHound

I am impressed, rayjay. You benchrest guys really are knowledgeable and skilled in your craft. I knew a guy who no kidding used to put little pieces of meat on a target and then shoot flies when they landed on the meat. Even with the right gear I don't think I'm near that good. LOL.

Take care.

rayjay

A good BR shooter knows how to read the windflags and knows what BR gunsmith to buy guns from.

A newbie BR shooter is baffled by the windflags and confused by what he observes at matches. This is me.

BookHound

Doping the wind is a skill all by itself. I still have a hard time reading mirage. I'm also still not sure which side I'm on in the great debate over which effects performance more, wind closer to the muzzle or the wind closer to the target.

Take care.

Pineywoods

Dirty, but only partially so for me. I'll get my gun zeroed in on a cold bore shot (shoot, adjust until happy, then lay it down until totally cooled, then shoot one shot, repeat as necessary). Once I'm happy, I'll run a patch with Hoppes #9 down the bore, then several dry patches. Some electrical tape for the muzzle, good to go and hunt.
Hoppes doesn't seem to be that aggressive on copper, but keeps the bore decent. Doesn't seems to affect my rifle's cold bore shot at all.
I'll clean the copper with Wipe-Out about every 50 rounds or so. Maybe a few strokes with JB compound if needed. Then 3 shots to foul again before any serious shooting begins...

rayjay

Mark, the wind at the bench affects the bullet over the full distance.