Sourwood Trees

Luke0927

Hopefully we got some North GA folks in this section...and any others that know chime in!

I started some bee hives this year and I'm right on the North Forsyth/South Dawson line, so we have plenty around here for wildflower honey and Also garden and blackberries will provide good nectar flow. My grandparents have some land up around Blairsville...i would like to try and get some Sourwood honey or at least get them as much nectar as possible this year to keep drawing out comb...I've done some reading online but looking from the folks who are around every year as to when they are are in bloom? I've heard Mid June to Early July...How long does it normally run?

Thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here in the western NC mountains, (extreme northern GA :) ) they usually start blooming in mid-late July. They stay bloomed for a few weeks. If you have black locust trees around, that locust honey is about as good as sourwood. They'll be blooming in a week or two.

safebuilder

First of July in Blairsville for a few weeks or maybe even the month..bring them back home to catch fall flowers late August/September

ginn68

Sourwood flow

I live in Dahlonega and also keep bee's. The sourwood flow in my neck of the woods is normally around mid june. It doesn't last to long (~3-4 weeks). Mmmm good though.

Good luck with bee keeping. It is very rewarding. Understand up front you will lose hives. Even the best bee keepers lose any where from 10-30% every year.

Let me know if I can help any.

MG