some updated info on my GG Grandfather, Cleveland Coffee

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
I have both completed background and family tree history on maternal and paternal sides of my family. My paternal was nothern and maternal was southern. Here is an updated piece about my gg grandfather about his Civil War experience.
He is buried in Empire Georgia and was with the 24thGa. infantry Company I. thanks for looking

I am going to order a memorial brick for our great grandfather, Cleveland Coffee, who was captured at Gettysburg on July 2/3 in 1863. After he was captured, he was at a hospital (I haven't found out why yet. I don't know if he was shot or sick). When he was well enough, he was transferred to Point Lookout, Maryland, where he endured conditions that are beyond our imagination. He stayed at Point Lookout until February of 1865, when he was part of a prisoner exchange. When he was captured in 1863, he was only 20 years old, and he was 22 when he was released. I'm sure ya'll have all heard the story about him and two others that made their way back to Hall County, Georgia by foot.

We went to Point Lookout in November of last year. Now, it's a very beautiful and peaceful place with deer roaming freely. But if anyone knows about Point Lookout, it is a very sad place for us to visit. If you get a chance, pull up Point Lookout Prisoner of War Camp in Maryland, and read about it.

In two years, it will mark the 150th anniversary of our great grandfather's capture. This August will mark the 150th anniversary of his enlistment at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hall County, Georiga. He enlisted with his brother, Robert, who was 3 years older than Cleveland. Cleveland was a private, and his brother, Robert, was made a sargeant. They went through many battles, until they came to Gettysburg. Cleveland and Robert were both captured. Cleveland was sent to Point Lookout, and Robert was sent to Fort Delaware. They sent the officers to one prisoner of war camp, and the enlisted men to another for the most part. You can read about Point Lookout and Fort Delaware on the computer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Great information !!! Thanks for sharing.

One of my Confederate ancestors, a great grandfather served with the 24th Ga Company C, he was with that Regiment from August 1861 until the surrender in April 1865. He was from White County Ga.

Your ancestor's fate sounds much like the author of a book I read. "Grandpa's War Stories" It was written by EH Sutton of the 24th Ga company K. He too was captured at Gettysburg on the 2nd day and ended up at Point Lookout. His book is a short read and tells much of the story of living in that prison camp.

The book is kinda hard to find. I borrowed a copy from Emory University Library through my local library. Let me know if you cant get a copy and I may figure something out. We need to do all we can to learn from the past and honor our Confederate Ancestors.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=548241&highlight=confederate

Wild Turkey

I have a few.
Colonel John Dickerson, revolutionary army. Died 1841
7 Blackleys in Civil War paternal.
14 dickersons in Civil war maternal side.

westcobbdog

I have both completed background and family tree history on maternal and paternal sides of my family. My paternal was nothern and maternal was southern. Here is an updated piece about my gg grandfather about his Civil War experience.
He is buried in Empire Georgia and was with the 24thGa. infantry Company I. thanks for looking

I am going to order a memorial brick for our great grandfather, Cleveland Coffee, who was captured at Gettysburg on July 2/3 in 1863. After he was captured, he was at a hospital (I haven't found out why yet. I don't know if he was shot or sick). When he was well enough, he was transferred to Point Lookout, Maryland, where he endured conditions that are beyond our imagination. He stayed at Point Lookout until February of 1865, when he was part of a prisoner exchange. When he was captured in 1863, he was only 20 years old, and he was 22 when he was released. I'm sure ya'll have all heard the story about him and two others that made their way back to Hall County, Georgia by foot.

We went to Point Lookout in November of last year. Now, it's a very beautiful and peaceful place with deer roaming freely. But if anyone knows about Point Lookout, it is a very sad place for us to visit. If you get a chance, pull up Point Lookout Prisoner of War Camp in Maryland, and read about it.

In two years, it will mark the 150th anniversary of our great grandfather's capture. This August will mark the 150th anniversary of his enlistment at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hall County, Georiga. He enlisted with his brother, Robert, who was 3 years older than Cleveland. Cleveland was a private, and his brother, Robert, was made a sargeant. They went through many battles, until they came to Gettysburg. Cleveland and Robert were both captured. Cleveland was sent to Point Lookout, and Robert was sent to Fort Delaware. They sent the officers to one prisoner of war camp, and the enlisted men to another for the most part. You can read about Point Lookout and Fort Delaware on the computer.

cool story..what became of the other man, Robert?

jason4445

here is a letter from my Great Great grandfather who commanded a supply vessel for the Union Blockade during the Civil War. This letter is about him watching the bombardment and taking of Fort Pulaski in Savannah. Later he commanded a mortar ship, The Sea Foam in the taking of Mobile bay under Farragut, and also the bombardment of Vicksburg for the Union.

United States Stone Ship “Relief”
Port Royal Bay April 14, 1862
My dear Mother,
It is a long time since I have written you, but constantly expecting to be ordered to Fortress Monroe, or further North. I did not know how soon I might be in Providence. And as the “Vermont” is now reported off the bar, some change may yet be made. It is very dull here as you may suppose, a few soldiers at Hilton Head & Bay Point enveloped in sand & sand flies, from which of a calm day we are not exempt even in the harbor. On Thursday last, the long talked of bombardment of Fort Pulaski, which you will remember is upon Savannah River took place. I obtained after some little persuasion 24 hours permission of the Commodore to see it – as no steamer was going. I took my small boat with six men and the Paymaster, and pulled all the way there, some 18 miles. We reached the right River at 4 o’clock, Thursday afternoon, and went on board the Gun Boat S.B. Hale in time to see the heaviest firing ever made on this Continent, lying just within range of Pulaski. I could see where almost every shot and shell struck. The Rebels fired with a good deal of spirit and accuracy – at about half past five the Fort seemed to notice us and dropped good line shot about 50 yards astern - they did not trouble us again, and we had an uninterrupted view until dark – after that time until 11 ‘clock, firing almost ceased; and I suspect it was a ruse to allow the Garrison to get asleep, for at that hour the bombardment opened and after a hard days work the rebels were forced to defend themselves. All Thursday night and until 12 o’clock Friday the heavens were lit with shrieking bombshells, and the Thunder of the guns seemed to grow louder and louder. At 12’15 ” the Rebel flag came down, and all firing ceased; being in mud river at the time with a glass I could distinctly see the Savannah people climbing up beacons to see if their rag was still flying. The wind was very high, and delayed the Officers in settling the terms, or in getting to, or from, Fort Pulaski in small boats. But at about 6 o’clock, our flag went up and the cheers of the Soldiers, and the fleets. I could have gone down into the Fort, but my liberty having expired, I thought it prudent to return. We had a very fatiguing time in the small boat, but at last getting a tow from a steamer we arrived at the “Relief” at 6 o’clock Saturday evening. I have a piece of one of the tassels of the Rebel flag, and I send enough for you to say you have a piece.

I hope you are all well and trusting to hear from you soon.
I am Your affectionate Son,
Benj. D. Scranton

westcobbdog

thats a cool letter Jason, my relatives all were rebs except one, a guy named Percival Drayton was in the US Navy when the war broke out, he also fought with Admiral Farragut and possibly knew your relative. couple of misguided yankees...