Muzzleloader Kills, 2012

jtexaslonestar

First muzzleloader kill.

I took off work today and went to my property to hang a stand. I decided to bring my Thompson Center Hawken .50 cal along for the ride. I had been practicing with patch and ball so i loaded it with 50 gr. of pyrodex loose and ball with a .010 prelubed patch. I began walking the trail to my tree and after 100 yds noticed movement to my left. I see a doe bedded down and a spike standing behind her. I slowly pulled the hammer back and lined up on the doe. One large smoke cloud later, meat on the ground. She was DRT from 45yds! :fine:
2012-10-18124622.jpg

Complete pass through!
thanks for reading!!

Geeseman

finaly got to let the Thompson sing! 645pm he stepped out 30 yards away. Looked like someone kicked him in the ribs when it hit him. His tarsel glands were loaded and is stinky! or was!

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpg
    IMG_3451.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,103

canecutter1

Killed my first deer with a Muzzleloader 10/19/2012 at 8:02 am at 70 yards dropped him in his tracks. Was using 90 gr of blackhorn 209 and a 250 gr shockwave

IMG_0188.jpg

vcd1363

Warren County, 7 pointer, 160 lbs, Hornady SST 300 gr, great pass through,,,went 30 yards and dead,,,glad i quit using powerbelts!

Attachments

• deer 2012.jpg
    deer 2012.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,030

pse hunter

got a small doe this morning, CVA optima 100gr of BH209
and a 300gr hornady XTP

DSC04134.jpg

fredw

Retired Moderator
Opening weekend of Primitive Weapons season

Both taken with TC 50 caliber, 100 grains of Pyrodex, and Powerbelt 295 grain hollow points.

Saturday afternoon's doe
IMG_0206-Copy.jpg

Sunday morning's doe
IMG_0210-Copy.jpg

snuffy

Monroe Co. 7

Not a monster but was glad to get him.

54 Cal. 535 grain No Excuses bullet ( thanks again Godogs 57)
Shot around 40 yards. Low behind shoulder Ran about 5 feet.

Attachments

• 100 (640 x 480).jpg
    100 (640 x 480).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,925

snook24

Shot this guy with a cva optima, 100gr bh209 and a 300gr hornady sst. Shot at 200 yards and he dropped. Thanks again for all who have helped me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,896

frankwright

Yesterday November 8th I was hunting with a friend on his property.
I was carrying my Cabela's Hawken, 90grns of Pyrodex with a 385 grn Great Plains bullet.

37 degree cold morning but a little windy. I was in a stand just 15 yards back in the woods from a long narrow food plot.

I had a beautiful 8 pointer walk right in front of my stand, less than ten yards. Just walking, not feeding or chasing. It was a young buck so I decided to let him go, I bleated at him in hopes of getting a picture but he just kept walking.
Right before 11:00 I saw a doe in the food plot about 30 yards away. I looked her over good and knew she was a nice sized doe and I knew I would shoot if she gave me a shot.
Finally she was positioned right and I picked a path trough the brush, I had to lean backwards to get a clean shot. I dropped the hammer and the gun popped but no fire. I seriously think that is the first time that has ever happened. I pulled off the old musket cap and dug in my pocket for my loader that had four more caps.

I remember the deer never moved after the shot but my friend heard the cap pop a long ways away.
I got a new cap on, saw the deer was still near where she was. I set the rear trigger, lined up and fired. Two deer ran off and neither looked hit.
I knew my phone would vibrate and it did. My friend asking about the shot. I told him I must have missed as the deer ran off unhurt.
I reloaded and we agreed we would meet at noon and also double check my hit.

I got down at noon and walked to where the deer was and there was blood everywhere. I waited for my friend and we wnt into the brush and followed good blood for about 50 yards and there was the deer.
It was a button buck. I never saw but one deer and when I was getting another cap, the doe must have held back and the little guy came forward.
Perfect hit through both lungs but I am surprised it went that far after that big chunk of lead went straight through.
I wouldn't have shot the button if I had known but I will eat him and enjoy him.
MLKill118201211-8-201211-51-01AM.jpg

snook24

shot her at 60 yards. 100 gr bh209 and a 300gr sst cva optima drt. loving this new set up.

Attachments

• foppe 2012 036.jpg
    foppe 2012 036.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,751

pse hunter

Got a doe and a yote this morning, shot the yote first and got the doe about 30 mins later, CVA optima 100gr of BH209 and a 300gr hornady XTP. had a great day:banana:

Attachments

• DSC04139.jpg
    DSC04139.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,714

snook24

I went out for the last afternoon I could for the year in the northern zone trying to get a little more meat. I was sitting in a pine thicket and had my video camera with me. I had a doe come running in being chased by a buck. He wasn't huge so I decided to take the doe. This was the first deer I've shot on video all season of trying! It's not easy by yourself. I was shooting my cva optima with 100 gr of bh209 and a 300gr hornady sst and as soon as I figure out how to transfer it to the computer and load it on here I will.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,471

GTHunter

This was my first deer with a muzzleloader. I shot her on December 23. I passed up numerous 8 pointers this year waiting on the big one, but he never showed. She field dressed 95 pounds. I used my CVA Wolf with two 50 grain 777 pellets and a 250 grain Hornady SST. Thank you to everyone who has posted about this gun and load. I have lurked on here for years, but rarely post. However, the information I have learned has been invaluable and I am extremely thankful for it.

Attachments

• 2012-12-23 19.42.01.jpg
    2012-12-23 19.42.01.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 1,457
I forgot to post these up last season...oops. All were taken with an old knight MK-85 using 350 grain Barnes bullets with 90 grains of Goex. I killed the doe opening day while Dad killed the big 7 pointer during the next week. The other dinky looking bucks I killed near the end of the season. All deer were TN deer.