Bartrams Buffalo Lick

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Another thread ended up with references to the buffalo licks in Oglethorpe county. Rather than derail that thread with more information we can start another about that.

Most history enthusiasts have read of the renowned naturalist William Bartram and his travels through Ga. One place I hunt in northern Taliaferro Co. is near where Bartram traveled during his trek through Ga.

Here is a cut and paste of some opinion of 4 possible locations of the buffalo lick Bartram wrote about, The one referred to near Philomath is the one I am most familar with.

Where is Bartram’s “Great Buffloe Lick?”
At least four sites, two in Greene County and two in Oglethorpe County, have been claimed by researchers to be the location of Bartram's “great Buffiloe Lick” where the boundary survey of the Ceded Lands was begun in June 1773. The southernmost site is marked by a metal plaque on a small granite monument at the side of U.S. Highway 278 three quarters of a mile east of Union Point in Greene County. It was identified in 1934 by Colonel T.G. MacFie The second site, three and one-half miles north of Union Point at Temperance Bell, was selected in 1949 by former Georgia State Geologist, A.S. Furcron. In 1934, Francis Harper, editor of the naturalist’s edition of Bartram's Travels, visited a lick site at the eastern edge of the village of Philomath that he argued was the “great Buffiloe Lick” of Bartram. A roadside wooden marker sign much in need of repair currently points to the Philomath lick site. The fourth site, my own nominee, is located near where Georgia Highway 22 crosses Buffalo Creek about five miles north of Philomath. These latter two sites are in Oglethorpe County.

Here is a link to the entire article

http://www.bartramtrail.org/pages/articles.html

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
have been to one at Philomath .There were an abundance of deer activity at this natural salt lick.

From what I read the Philomath lick site is more other minerals than salt.

From what I read the Philomath lick site is more other minerals than salt.

Read Louis Devorsey's (a friend of mine).

None of the sites have salt. There is no naturally occurring salt in the Piedmont because it was never under water.

That's one of the mysteries that hasn't been thoroughly answered -- what were the animals "licking".

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Has been several years since I read Bartram's Travels, but my recollection is that he described coming upon a "buffalo wallow", with no mention of a "buffalo lick".

Someone who has read the book recently should set the record straight on this.

Apparently the Bison will habitually return to the same wallowing place for many years. Over time, the soil will stick to the hair on the beast and be carried away. After eons of time the wallow will be gradually excavated and become a large pit. The wallows will become deep enough to even hold water at times.

The question: Was it a buffalo wallow, or was it a buffalo lick??

Has been several years since I read Bartram's Travels, but my recollection is that he described coming upon a "buffalo wallow", with no mention of a "buffalo lick".

Someone who has read the book recently should set the record straight on this.

Apparently the Bison will habitually return to the same wallowing place for many years. Over time, the soil will stick to the hair on the beast and be carried away. After eons of time the wallow will be gradually excavated and become a large pit. The wallows will become deep enough to even hold water at times.

The question: Was it a buffalo wallow, or was it a buffalo lick??

Here is the quote from Bartram relied on by Dr. De Vorsey,

We came into an open Forest of Pines, Scrub white oaks, Black Jacks, Plumb, Hicory, Grape Vines, Rising a sort of Ridge, come to a flat levell Plain and at the upper side of this, levell at the foot of the hills of the great Ridge, is the great Buffiloe Lick which are vast pits licked in the Clay, formerly by the Buffiloes, & now kept smoothe and open by Cattle, deer & horses, that resort here constantly to lick the clay, which is a greesey Marle of various colours, Red, Yellow & white, & has a sweetish taste, but nothing saltish that I could perceive, Several Pits were grown over with a very tall broad bladed grass very tender & sweet, which Our horses were moderately fond of. The whole lick may take up an Acre & half of ground & some holes 5 or 6 feet deep. The land descends gradually & a little ways farther down becomes moist & springey from whence proceeds a gully, but this being a very dry Season found no water until We had gone near a mile down it. Passing by other small licking Pits, we come to a lively stream that made in from a cane bottom. This is said to be the head of Grt. Ogechee River.

dorkfish

I had just started hunting in my teens on land in putnam county. Their was a big salt flat beside the main road does anybody know of this place?

CAL

Appreciate the info. Sorry to hear that my memory is not so reliable.

I appreciate the information also.I didn't even know that Ga.ever had buffalo.

Mr.Vernon,you must have done a misprint.You Sir have forgotten more than I will ever remember!

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I appreciate the information also.I didn't even know that Ga.ever had buffalo.

Mr.Vernon,you must have done a misprint.You Sir have forgotten more than I will ever remember!

GA had them, just never that many...we also had elk. Ironically most historical maps of buffalo show them in the whole state except for where you would think they would be, in SOWEGA. However the Lower Creek towns traded in buffalo hides with whites and so did some of the Seminole towns in N. FLA. There are numerous place names in GA with the word buffalo in them which would also indicate they were in that area at one time or other. Many people think that the buffalo that was native to GA was a now extinct eastern subspecies of the woodland bison which now only resides in the woods of northwestern Canada and (now) in Alaska since they have recently been reintroduced.