What is it?

Jranger

I found this the other day in my garden after a big rain came through. It's brass or appears to be. I live in New Hope area. Major battle occurred here before they got to Picketts mill. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,692

SGADawg

I found this the other day in my garden after a big rain came through. It's brass or appears to be. I live in New Hope area. Major battle occurred here before they got to Picketts mill. Any ideas?
My guess is that it is the decorative end of a curtain rod, desktop flag pole or something of that nature. If the left end has a hole, especially threaded that would support my theory.

I have no guess how old it might be. I suspect that if it is solid brass that would indicate it is fairly old.

Jranger

My guess is that it is the decorative end of a curtain rod, desktop flag pole or something of that nature. If the left end has a hole, especially threaded that would support my theory.

I have no guess how old it might be. I suspect that if it is solid brass that would indicate it is fairly old.

Had one guy also tell me it might be a flag finial. It has no threads on then end, but it does have sort of a bump. Threaded part may have broken off if so. Just curious if anyone had found or saw anything similar. I was unable to find anything similar on the net.

westcobbdog

The men in gray put a beat down on the yanks at New Hope, with some fighting from behind the headstones of the cemetery. Hood turned down an offer for reinforcements he had such a good defensive position. Cool find.

Jranger

Might be worth renting a metal detector!;)

I've got one...:bounce:
Had a few big hits out behind the house with no luck getting deep enough to retrieve what ever I was hitting. Part of our neighborhood was something called "- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - Hole" this place is about 400 yds from my house. I'm about 1.5 miles from New Hope Church.

Clifton Hicks

Cap box finial
pcapboxfinial.JPG

westcobbdog

JR with your proximity to the H Hole you probably have many more artifacts around. There was a lot of carnage and hot lead flyin' there. Gen Hiram Granbury (TX) led a column of incensed Rebs on a sudden night bayonet charge at a thousand or more blue bellies cowering for cover in the ravine. Reb's heard their canteens and metal clinking and knew they were trying to sneek back to their lines. The Northern press had recently published newspapers stating Reb's had lost their will to fight and the Southern boys were pretty hot about it.