buckshot question

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Reviving an old thread here but I just got through patterning my gun.
Wondering if my best pattern is decent. Shooting a 3 x 3 piece of cardboard at 40 steps.
3 inch 00 Rem green shells put 12 out of 15 pellets in it.
3 inch #1 win super X put 20 out of 24 in.
I'm choosing the Rem 00. Good Choice or no?
This is a stoeger m2000 with full choke.

In that scenario, I would take 20 #1 pellets over 12 #00 pellets all day long, myself.

mikelowery9

The only thing that comes out the end of my barrel is Winchester Double X high velocity, running a Kicks buck kicker choke on a benelli vinci 28" barrel. 60 yards she puts 11 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target, 80 yards she puts 9 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target. Over the last 3 seasons I squeezed the trigger 11 times and 11 deer never took another step, that's anywhere from 10 yards to 75+ yards running and standing still. I have personally seen a lot of guys running the kicks buck kicker setup out of several different guns with the high velocity rounds with the same results. Its a pure death setup that has been tried and true. Just my two cents.

ishootlittlebucks

The only thing that comes out the end of my barrel is Winchester Double X high velocity, running a Kicks buck kicker choke on a benelli vinci 28" barrel. 60 yards she puts 11 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target, 80 yards she puts 9 out of 12 pellets in a deer size target. Over the last 3 seasons I squeezed the trigger 11 times and 11 deer never took another step, that's anywhere from 10 yards to 75+ yards running and standing still. I have personally seen a lot of guys running the kicks buck kicker setup out of several different guns with the high velocity rounds with the same results. Its a pure death setup that has been tried and true. Just my two cents.

If your gun will shoot it, that's a bad shell. I love my setup, but would love to be able to shoot that shell. Through the factory full, my SBE puts the 3.5" hv shell into about 24" @ 40. I want a tighter pattern than that.

I kinda wish you hadn't posted this. I really don't want to spend $60 on a different tube and $13 for a box of shells. I might though when I run out of the Rem shells mine likes.

ishootlittlebucks,

Before you invest in more hardware, try this* load with your factory choke tubes. Fire a pattern or two with your Full, Modified and Imp Cyl choke. Don't be suprised to find the lesser constrictions pattern tighter with the Federal Flitecontrol wad.

*Federal Premium Vital Shok PFC15700, 12 Gauge, 3 in, 12 Pellets w/Flitecontrol Wad, 1325 fps, #00 Copper Plated Lead Buck Shot

ishootlittlebucks

Thanks for the advice, but the only reason I'd change anything is to shoot the Winchester HV 00 load. I've got great patterns with what I use now, but that HV load is a bad joker.

Just a reminder. Do not link to videos. You must embed all videos.

Thanks for the advice, but the only reason I'd change anything is to shoot the Winchester HV 00 load. I've got great patterns with what I use now, but that HV load is a bad joker.

A quick comparison of the downrange ballistics of 00B indicates at 50 yards the 125 fps start advantage of a 1450 fps load over a 1325 fps load dwindles down to just 37 fps. That is 971 fps and 934 fps respectively. The faster you start a buckshot pellet the faster it sheds velocity.
A lot of additional recoil for minimal gain.
Something to think about.

The last figure below is the difference in velocity:

MV-- 1325 1450 125
25yd 1066 1122 56
50yd- 934 971 37

Factory load nominal velocities are taken from 30 inch test barrels.

Last edited:

common man

Originally the green remington 000 buck 2 3/4 patterened best. Going to give it one more round in a week or so and then I'll post results

Remington 2 3/4 000 buck 8 pellets
Remington 3 inch 000 buck 10 pellets
Federal 3 inch 00 buck 12 pellets
Winchester high velocity 3 inch 00 buck 12 pellets

Last edited:

jmoser

What is the constriction on your Kicks BK choke tube? Light Full / Full / X Full?

Edit - I looks at the Kicks site; sounds very similar to the Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]
I have PMs for Rem and Benelli guns but am pretty sold on the new Federal loads with FliteControl wads.

... Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]
I have PMs for Rem and Benelli guns but am pretty sold on the new Federal loads with FliteControl wads.

jmoser:

According to Patternmaster their chokes work best with Federal Premium buckshot without the Flite Control wad. For example the 3" 15 pellet 00B Federal Premium round has a conventional plastic wad and the pellets are stacked in a "spiral" or offset manner inside the wad. Try these before you spend more on another choke tube.

Pattern your gun/choke/load combinations for yourself. Then I suggest establishing the maximum range your gun/choke/load will deliver a minimum acceptable pattern.

Last edited:

common man

Well I think I am satisfied with my results, after trying various loads it seems like the good ole 3 inch green box remington 000 buck is what seems to work best in my gun.

Thanks for all the replies on this post it has been very helpful.

It did not work well in my gun but if you feel like trying out a kick butt load try that winchester 00 buck 3 inch. I think the high velocity kicks harder that 000.

steveus

Common Man,
Just curious, did you ever take the Win-Choke out of your barrel just to check that it removable? If not, I would try it, if it will come out you will have a more versatile gun by being able to change chokes. But be careful, if it's stuck you could twist your barrel, but there will be plenty of help on here for that problem.

jmoser

jmoser:

According to Patternmaster their chokes work best with Federal Premium buckshot without the Flite Control wad. For example the 3" 15 pellet 00B Federal Premium round has a conventional plastic wad and the pellets are stacked in a "spiral" or offset manner inside the wad. Try these before you spend more on another choke tube.

Yes - I owned the PM tubes long before the new FliteControl ammo was available. The Federal 'FC' gets Cyl or IC standard chokes in my guns.

mikelowery9

What is the constriction on your Kicks BK choke tube? Light Full / Full / X Full?

Edit - I looks at the Kicks site; sounds very similar to the Patternmaster chokes [wad stripping, ported.]

X-full

jmoser

I have a Benelli SBE 24" bbl set up as a dedicated slug / buckshot with fastfire rib mounted red dot. Looks funny but forward 'scout mount' is ideal.

I am going to test some buckshot at 50 yards this weekend; Federal standard and flight control with Patternmaster and standard chokes. Don't have any Win XX HV but might try some in the future.

I have a Benelli SBE 24" bbl set up as a dedicated slug / buckshot with fastfire rib mounted red dot. Looks funny but forward 'scout mount' is ideal.

I am going to test some buckshot at 50 yards this weekend; Federal standard and flight control with Patternmaster and standard chokes. Don't have any Win XX HV but might try some in the future.

Testing your Gun/Choke/Load combination for yourself is the way to go. Indeed, you will then know the actual size and core density average of your patterns.

common man

In reply. I had tried to get the choke off but couldn't so decided to work with what I had, didn't realize at time but it was a full choke and what I wanted anyway. Thanks for all yalls inputs didn't realize this post would take off like this slot of good info here