Reloading 6.8 SPC?

DYI hunting

My brother-in-law has all the equipment for reloading except for a tumbler and 6.8 die. I guess I am going to try reloading with his help. Few questions:

6.8 SPC brass is available with either large or small rifle primer. Does it matter which I go with?

How long does it take to reload 100 rounds that have already been cleaned?

Do the economy tumblers work good enough? I have been looking at a very cheap Frankford Arsenal Case Tumbler.

leoparddog

Primer size? I'd say if you have some once shot brass figure out what those are and stick with that size. It will aleviate confusion and frustration later on.
As far as functionality differences between primer sizes - I don't think you'd find much difference 'tween large and small.

My personal preference would be to go with the large rifle primer as that is what is commonly used for many other rifle rounds.

Loading 100 rounds of rifle brass on a single stage press? Depends on the steps you want to include/exclude. Figure a minimum of 1.5 hours. If you have to trim each piece and decide to uniform primer pockets and debur primer holes add in an another hour.

Funny thing about the product reviews on the FA tumbler for sale on Midway. In 2006 everyone was giving it 5 stars. Beginning in 2007-Jan 2008 the same unit was consistently getting 1 or 2 stars. I wonder if they changed something.

I had a Dillon case cleaner and it stopped working after about 40 hours over 2 years. They said if I sent it back they'd charge me about $35 to repair it and ship it back to me, it would cost $20 to ship it to them. I took my money and bought a cheap Lyman and it has lasted and worked well, but it is about $20 more than the FA.

Good Luck.

DYI hunting

If I decided to start reloading myself, would this work? I see it is much less expensive than the $300 Hornady Lock and Load, so is it missing stuff I need or a poor quality?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423081&t=11082005

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
Press features the Breech Lock quick change die system that holds dies in inserts that can be quickly removed from the press. Includes three quick change inserts. Popular "O" frame design with a 4-1/4" opening that is angled at 30° for maximum hand clearance. The spent primer catcher is effective and easy to empty.
Kit includes:
Press
Auto-Prime
11 Auto-Prime Shellholders
Chamfer tool
Primer pocket cleaner
2 oz case lube
Cutter and Lock Stud (Case Length Gage and Shellholder sold separately)
Powder scale
Powder measure
Powder funnel

Plus purchased seperatly:
Case Length Gage
6.8 die set
Case holder
Shell tumbler

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
DYI - Instead of the case length gage, get a set of calipers. That way you can use it for all of your cartridges, not just the 6.8.
Another point. Instead of buying the corncob or walnut media for your tumbler, go to the grocery store and buy one of those big bags of white rice. It will clean your cases just as well and not cost nearly as much.
One more thing. If you don't want to spring for the tumbler just yet, get a plastic bucket, fill halfway with one part vinegar to five parts hot water. Dump your cases in and swish them around real good. Let them sit for 5 minutes and then swish them around again. Take the cases out and rinse them with hot water (I usually have another bucket with boiling water in it). Take the cases and stand them upright on a cookie sheet and place near a heat register or outside in the sun. They will be dry in about 30-60 minutes. This is the cheap way to clean cases and you can do quite a few at a time.

DYI hunting

My kids have a rock tumbler. I figure I could fit 40 cases in it. Would it work?

I am getting overwelmed with all the choices of reloading startup kits with all their different accessories. :confused: I need to do some more research. What parts do I really need?

Is a single-stage kit okay or do I need to look bigger? I will be reloading mostly 6.8, some .243 and maybe .40.

GAnaturalist

My brother-in-law has all the equipment for reloading except for a tumbler and 6.8 die. I guess I am going to try reloading with his help. Few questions:

6.8 SPC brass is available with either large or small rifle primer. Does it matter which I go with?

How long does it take to reload 100 rounds that have already been cleaned?

Do the economy tumblers work good enough? I have been looking at a very cheap Frankford Arsenal Case Tumbler.

1. small rifle

2. two hours for me (but I am watching TV in the background)

3. and yes

majg1234

Primer size doesn't matter make a choice and stick to it

Cheap tumblers are ok if the volume is low

about an hr should do it in a single stage press,in a Dillon
550b it'll take about 15min to load 100,and before the racket starts about progressive vs single stage accuracy the guys shooting and winning @ camp perry use progressive loaders (mostly Dillon) My dillon consistantly does poweder drops with less than 1/10th Grain of variation

WTM45

Single stage, throw and trickle method here.
One word recommendation........Redding.

Look in your manuals at the loads you are considering for the 6.8, and see what primer is recommended. Primer size can effect performance with some powders and loadings.
Have a plan, know what you are trying to achieve and have fun!