Magpul stocks

Lilly001

Has anyone tried the magpul stocks for the Remington 700 rifles?
I am intrigued because mine has the Houge rubber covered one and I just can't seem to like it.
I tried replacing it with a Boyd's Tacticool stock (I know the name should have warned me) and didn't like that one bit.
I ordered the trigger guard magazine attachment also.
It was all on sale at Midway so I succumbed to a late night buying spree.
We will see.....:yeah:

Jester896

Senior Clown
You are asking about the Magpul Hunter? I have one that I put on a custom hunting rifle. I have shot it a good bit but have not hunted with it. I like it fine. My buddy couldn't get the right cheek weld on his but would not buy the optional pieces to swap it out.

Only con I have so far is having to pull the pad to remove the cheek piece to get a bore guide and rod in. It is not hard...just harder than the one screw on say a Manners to pull it.

the Hogue feels sticky to me...still want one.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 327

cmshoot

The Magpul Hunter stock is a better stock all-around than the Hogue you currently have. There are a lot better tactical stocks out there, but it’s a very good stock.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I agree with cmshoot...from a hunting standpoint I think it may be heavier than others of the same type with a bedding block...I wouldn't think it would hold up as well as the tactical stocks that are available to a 100 round a day pounding...haven't seen a test though.

ryanh487

I have one on a 700 sps tactical in .308. It's a solid stock, and I like the aluminum bedding and being able to use aics mags. It is a little heavy and I don't like to take long walks with it but it's a great box stand gun.

transfixer

I've got an early 90's 700 sps varmint .308 that came with an HS Precision stock, I've been wanting to upgrade to something with a slimmer/more vertical palm area, I don't care for the way the Magpul stocks look, but haven't held one in person. I've been looking at some of the Bell and Carlson models, but haven't decided yet. The rifle is used mostly out of box stands overlooking clearcut or long shooting lanes.

Dub

I have one on a 700 sps tactical in .308. It's a solid stock, and I like the aluminum bedding and being able to use aics mags. It is a little heavy and I don't like to take long walks with it but it's a great box stand gun.

There it is.....the deciding factor that I wish...wish....wish I'd considered more carefully in my earlier days of hunting.

I've had many cases of wrong gun for the type of hunting I was doing at the time. Didn't have a big budget for guns & glass and would blow my budget on a single rifle that I wanted to use for the upcoming season....only to figure out later that it simply didn't fit what I was doing.

Some years I'd be in a club using my ATV and getting around with ease anywhere I wanted to hunt. Other years I'd be hunting WMA land with long walks and toting a climber.

It's taken me a long time to finally get.....&... hang on to a few guns that better fit the the various scenarios I will be hunting in.

One thing is for certain....there are some impressive stocks available to the hunter with average smiffing skills & tools. Seems like there are even some that are light yet strong & stable, too.

I saw those Magpul M700 stocks when I was buying some gear for AR's and wondered how they were performing for folks. Glad to hear they are decent.

Cool thread.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I finished mine with BDL BM. I did pick up a couple of the Magpul 5 rounders on sale in case I wanted to swap it over. The Magpuls seem to work fine in my BO BM as well. They seem (not a fact) lighter than my AICS. I also like the release on the Magpul BM pretty good. It is ambi and on the sides of the trigger guard instead of in front like others and better suited for hunting purposes...not much to catch on it.

wareagle700

If I were in the market for an inexpensive stock like the Magpul Hunter, I'd take a hard look at the KRG Bravo Chassis. KRG makes very nice stuff and the price is right.

pdsniper

Look at the MDT chassis they have a very wide verity and price range and they make them to fit just about every well know bolt action out there, they are already making Chassis for 7 major OEM's so they must be doing something right, I have several of them and they are fantastic and they keep coming out with new and innovative products

Lilly001

Funny story.
My Magpull stock arrives at the house in Fl while I'm in Ga.
The wife calls and asks if it's another AR 15. I reply no, they don't send those to the house. I have to go pick them up at the store.
She says, well you better get a few more before the idiots outlaw them....
39 years and she is a keeper.:love:

wareagle700

Holly Cow you got a real good one

She probably thinks he's telling the truth when he says "that rifle didn't cost much and I "saved" 80%."