There's a new AR15 on the market

wareagle700

Looks like another good option.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
For sure it should be a good pick. If you do get one and want to improve the accuracy of it you can do what I did to my Colt.

gt40

Attachments

• upgraded colt .jpg
    upgraded colt .jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,020

Duff

Very scary looking guns!

Balrog

If its a mid length gas system, shouldn't the front site and gas block be closer to the muzzle on a 16" barrel?

wareagle700

If its a mid length gas system, shouldn't the front site and gas block be closer to the muzzle on a 16" barrel?

Yes, the rifle pictured above have a midlength gas system and 16" barrel.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
... picked up a Leupold vx-1 3X9X40. And some high mounts. Hoping to make a coyote gun without needing a new free floated upper.
Hoping the crosshairs will ghost through the upper part of the front sight...

transfixer

I'm not sure about the high mounts, but if you use one of the offset mounts designed for AR's it usually puts the optic to where it co-witnesses with the front sight.

transfixer

They've come out with other models of the Saint line since last year, they have one with free float handguard and flip up sights, a pistol version , and an enchanced model with a few extras like an adjustable gas block and billet receiver and flared mag well. Nice rifles if you want to spend that much.

jbogg

I have never owned many guns. Was always the “if it ain’t broke why fix it” type. However, I started hunting the mountains a couple of years ago and have found that every pound counts. Are the ARs lighter than a typical deer rifle? My old Model 70 in 300 WinMag with scope has to weigh 10 lbs. My back and knees aren’t getting any younger, and I am curious if this might be a good option for deer, bear, and hogs.

transfixer

They can be a good bit lighter, depending on what caliber you choose. You can build a 5.56 AR and have it weight less than 6lbs without a mag. If you choose one of the lightweight barrels, a 10rd mag for hunting doesn't add much weight. My .300blkout probably weighs 7 1/2 or 8lbs with hvy barrel and scope. For hunting up there you'd probably want to look at a 6.5 Grendel, and get someone to put together a lightweight setup.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Myself, I like a hunting rifle for hunting. I love my short bolt action, carbine length stainless 308 with compact scope for mountain hunting (and tree stand hunting in the woods). The .308 performance is right on the heels of a 30-06. I load mine was very accurate and high-strung handloads. I lovingly refer to it as my '30-06 in a can'. Add that Browning split sling that you can put on one shoulder and put the other half across your head on other shoulder and it becomes practically unnoticeable to carry long distances.
The AR is not as well suited for throwing up across the log to take steady aim or hold it against a tree, especially against the left side of a tree! If you pick one up and give it a good shake, it will rattle. Not the quietest thing in the woods. And it has many angles on it that will grab a brush and briers when you are hauling it through the thick stuff. I personally do not like the .223 caliber for deer hunting. Much less for bear.
But for busting up a small herd of pigs, the 'sprinkle' setting will have its advantages...

transfixer

The "basic" AR's can be a little noisy, but if you choose your stock wisely , and use a captured spring buffer setup, you can have a solid, rattle free rifle, I would not choose a .223/5.56 for hunting in the mountains, but there are a couple other calibers that will do the job quite well.