It only took me 50 plus years

Tentwing

I have been looking for points for a long time mostly in Walker county. I have been held captive by the Tennessee Volunteers for a few years now, and have found a few points up here. Today I got to go fishing on the Cumberland River in Kentucky, and took a break to sit on the bank and there it was.

I think it's a Dovetail. If so it is my first ever. I think I have figured out how to post a picture, so I would love to hear from all the experts here.

Any education you can offer me is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tentwing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,740

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Wow, I believe it is a St Charles dovetail. The material looks like Dover chert too.

That is a one almighty nice find.

Duff

Wow! What a beauty! Nice find:cheers:

walkinboss01

Wow!! Beautiful point!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Is that the same thing as a Lost Lake point.

No, they`re two separate points, or blades. Since both are beveled past first stage, I personally think they were both used as knife blades as much as projectile points.

Tentwing

I was in southern Kentucky. I like to fly fish below WolfCreek dam. About 3 miles down stream there is a place where a small stream runs into the river. I have found several points there over the years.

I really appreciate the identification fellas. I have been hunting points for years , and have a pretty good collection. Sadly I can't tell you much about any of them.facepalm:

I may start posting pictures here, and let you guys school me.:D

Thanks again fellas, Tentwing

Tentwing

Now that I look at picture of it I realize that I need to take better pictures. The bottom of it has crescent shape, but it looks straight in the picture.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great find!

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Put some oil on it and see how it brings the color out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Olive oil is good. No, it won't damage the stone. Armor-all is also good. :)

Nugefan

thats a nice un' ..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

atlashunter

If only that stone could tell a story.