Shotgun barrel work.

I was thinking about getting the barrel on my Mossberg 535 ported, polished and forcing cone lengthened. My question is does this make a difference in my patters? Gun all ready holds a tight pattern with the Carlsons choke tube.

fountain

Honestly, I wanted all that done a while back to my guns, but I don't believe it's necessary. With the chokes and loads available today, that gun will shoot great when you find the right choke/shell combo.
Years back when lead was all that was available and the choke market wasn't as strong, the things you mentioned would have been a big help. Now, I honestly wouldn't do it. Those actions are irreversible. If your gun didn't like the work, it could actually pattern worse.
Leave it be and take the money you would have spent on the work and experiment with different chokes and shells until you find a pattern you cant live without. There and tons of options and you can generally find chokes used for great deals on various sites. You can try any thing from winchester longbeards shells to hevi-shot all the way to tss from apex ammo and nitro

hooksnhorns

I couldn't have said it any better than fountain did. I would spend that money on some tss and equiptment and components to load it.

Covehnter

I'll echo what's already been said.

And spent the extra $$ on the shells and not the choke- I don't see any reason to need a $100 choke with the loads that are available today.

deast1988

I had bore polished, forcing cone lengthened. Action trigger work done drilled tapped. All to An 870youth 20ga.

Apex Ammo (TSS) you can order loaded is all I needed.

I was getting 240s with Nitro #7s.

#9 TSS is wicked stuff.

Got both 20s throwing wicked stuff with it.

I reload don't have the stuff for shotguns but ordering the loaded #9s is easy. Way easier then getting a phone call through to nitro. I called 6 times with out success buddy who ordered from Apex they called him over a Facebook message I'm down to support that service.

Long winded, find you a choke that throws even. Then invest in shells.
I don't run any of my turkey rigs on Regular gas. Feed it the premium An you should see some great results.

Last edited:

fountain

Just a side note, hevi shot and "heavier" shot typically will not react as well as lead to forcing cone work. You may get some recoil reduction, but not a lot.

WFL

If it shoots dont work on it. Buy a choke a shells. Port holes goes in boats and Thunderbird's. Forcing cone will cut the recoil but you get the 50/50 deal on helping the pattern.

eshoremd

You could always do a home polish job for free. It made a better pattern on my 835. I just use never dull wrapped around a wire cleaning attachment and a drill.

fountain

You could always do a home polish job for free. It made a better pattern on my 835. I just use never dull wrapped around a wire cleaning attachment and a drill.

I too did this once to my 835s when I was chasing big numbers on paper. Polished the heck out of em and they were super shiny. Cleaned them dry after the polish...They haven't shot the same since.

At most now, I give them a good deep cleaning and go.

eshoremd

I too did this once to my 835s when I was chasing big numbers on paper. Polished the heck out of em and they were super shiny. Cleaned them dry after the polish...They haven't shot the same since.

Well that sucks. I wonder how it made your gun shoot worse. After putting some shells through it and over time it went back to patterning like before polishing?

WFL

:banginghe:hammers:::ke: