Using injector cleaners in 07 Sierra

harderthansoft

I own a 07 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC. The book states not to use any fuel additives in the fuel. Its got close to 98000 miles and I want to add some STP injector cleaner to gas. Can anyone comment on this subject?

Davans

Won’t hurt a thing.
+1-Sea Foam. Don’t expect it to chang anything. Fuel injection systems have come a long way. So has fuel.

GA native

Snake oil. None of that mechanic in a bottle stuff works.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are having fueling issues. A pack of 8 Bosch fuel injectors can be had for around $100. And they are right there next to the spark plugs.

harderthansoft

Ok thanks guys. I always use Seafoam in a gallon of gas to clean my boat motor every couple of years. I disconnect the short hose and put it in the gallon of treated gas. Going to look into how to use it on vehicle.

Lilly001

I did read that you should NOT use any cleaner stuff on the new Ford Ecoboost engines. Something about the turbos being to close to the exhaust manifold and them overheating.
But nothing about useing it in a GM product.

95g atl

i have 199,000 miles on my Tahoe and haven't used any injector cleaner. USe good fuel and change fuel filter every so often, no issues.

Walker44

SEAFOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taken one vehicle to 179000 another to 156000 another to 159000 and the current one to 154000 and still goings strong Every oil change a can in the tank never have had any issues

transfixer

The biggest thing those injector cleaners in a can do is remove money from your wallet ,, in order for it to clean any amount at all you'd have to use it in concentrations four or five times higher than what their directions tell you to do. In fact probably much higher than that even, think about it, most of them are 16oz's at the most, designed for up to 25 gallons. That's not enough to do anything, yes they say its concentrated,, but it ain't concentrated that much !

swamp hunter

Poured some in my Ford , 07 and it smoked like the devil for a couple minutes.
Must have did something...?

Artfuldodger

I think Seafoam may remove some intake gunk if sprayed into the intake. The have some now in a spray can with a long nozzle.

I've read about fuel injector cleaners not doing much as far as cleaning injectors.

Seafoam is still rated pretty good as a injector cleaner. Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus is also rated pretty good.

I guess it's like motor oil choices.

PEA or Polyether Amine is suppose to be the ingredient to look for in an injector cleaner. Redline SL-1 and Amsoil PI has a lot of that in it. PEA is the latest and greatest of the new active ingredient.

transfixer

There are intake/injector cleaners out there that are designed to be sprayed/trickled directly into the throttlebody/intake tube while the engine is running, those will actually accomplish something. But realistically with the gas that's available now there isn't going to be much in the way of residue in the intake or carbon in the cylinders. Back in the day you needed to change spark plugs every year or two because of carbon buildup, not so today, spark plugs can have 4yrs/80k miles on them and still look good.

7Mag Hunter

take off the hose from the air cleaner that goes to the throttle body and spray out the black soot around the throttle body blades with throttle body spray..
....Hold the blade open and spray inside and wipe with clean rag to get all the black soot out....
It will help off idle performance and will idle smoother...

95g atl

take off the hose from the air cleaner that goes to the throttle body and spray out the black soot around the throttle body blades with throttle body spray..
....Hold the blade open and spray inside and wipe with clean rag to get all the black soot out....
It will help off idle performance and will idle smoother...

YES! I have done that with good success!

hopper

SEAFOAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taken one vehicle to 179000 another to 156000 another to 159000 and the current one to 154000 and still goings strong Every oil change a can in the tank never have had any issues
I have had 2 F150's one got rid of at 280,000
The other gave to my daughter at 220,000 until she recked it (great first banger car)
and my f250 V10 running running just over 190,000 no additives ever, late on every oil change and work em to death. I say no additives. I have seen SeaFoam to remove gummed up old gas in carberator on small engines.

chevypro1

Chevron with Techron in a bottle. You can buy it at Wally World or any parts store. It is the best injector and carbon cleaner for the $$$. It is what GM recommends. Just my opinion.