Establishing new plots

Longhorn 16

I just picked up some new property to hunt. What would be good to plant this spring? I will get the soil test done so I can amend as needed.

I will work the dirt for the areas to plant and then would like to get a cover crop of something going until I can plant this fall.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I just picked up some new property to hunt. What would be good to plant this spring? I will get the soil test done so I can amend as needed.

I will work the dirt for the areas to plant and then would like to get a cover crop of something going until I can plant this fall.
Depending on what county you are in, different plants would grow better.

Elkbane

I had pretty decent luck getting a new plot into production last spring with Alyceclover and jointvetch mix 50/50. Neither is particularly sensitive to ph level was the reason I tried it. I had limed the area before I planted it, but knowing it would take a while for the lime to have an effect, I went with a more low-ph tolerant forage species. I was satisfied with the production, on heavy clay with not-the-best soil prep.

You probably will have to spray to keep weeds down - 2,4-DB for broadleafs and clethodim for grasses.

Elkbane

Huntin 4 More

If you have any hard pan issues I would go with Sorghum which can help to break that up. If not, go with buckwheat or sun hemp as others have mentioned. Buckwheat is like green manure and if you mow it and disc back in will help build the soil for future plantings.

Longhorn 16

Thanks for the input guys.

I plan to use the lower laying land for plots. I anticipate better soul moisture and better soil conditions.

I have several spots that are on the west side of standing timber that I think will do well.

This weekend I plan on getting my implements ready to go. Boom sprayer, spring plow, Brown harrow and Cain subsoiler.

I am targeting forty acres total, might take a couple seasons to get it all cleaned up.