South Georgia N Fla spawn discussion

Zackvbra

In my opinion, last year was an off year for spawning in South Georgia. I caught bass with roe in them in June/July that hadn’t even spawned out (usually spawn in February-March).
This year, we got a good cold winter, and in my opinion, if the water temp will get 50 or below and stay there for a few days, then when it warms up, prespawn and the spawn will be tremendous.
Nothing like a good cold winter to make the spawn hot.

Thoughts?

fish hawk

Bass Master
Last year was unusual with the warmer than normal temps.The crappie spawned earlier for sure but they are normally the first to spawn followed by the bass then bream.I didnt really notice anything unusual with the bass other than they were on the beds a couple weeks early,our spawning period in mid-Ga. normally runs between mid March with some spawning as late as mid May,I could go between that time and always find some on bed.I fished some rivers in S Georgia last year in late Feb. and the bass were definitely on bed.Interesting thought on the cold winter making for a hot spawn.

Zackvbra

I’m not saying they didn’t go on bed. I’m just saying it was an off year.
And in my opinion, the colder the winter, the better the spawn will be in the spring when it warms up.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I’m not saying they didn’t go on bed. I’m just saying it was an off year.
And in my opinion, the colder the winter, the better the spawn will be in the spring when it warms up.

Yea I know.It just seemed pretty normal here other than being a tad early.In some creeks I fish up here it's not unusual to catch bass with eggs through June or later.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
In extreme N Florida there will always be a certain number of bass that will spawn during the month of February. The moon distance from us and the number of daylight hours will pull many bass up to spawn. Lots of huge bass caught in Feb. Always.