Radishes growing out of the ground

bhouston

So, I planted about 8 acres (4 different food plots) of radishes in October. They sprouted and grew very well. The deer ignored them all season until the hard frost in early january - now they are tearing them up. Two questions #1 many of them are about 6"-9" long - but instead of pushing down deep into the soil - they are popping up out of the soil by as much as 4" to 6". Does this signal shallow hard pan or is this normal..?? (One of my goals with the radishes was to get them to grow into and break up hard pan). #2 the deer are digging them up and eating the lower end only and leaving the top part laying on the ground - normal..?? Thx for any thoughts.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
My deer have been eating them for a while, but with a hard freeze, there is a defensive chemical reaction that takes place inside a brassica, that acts like anti-freeze that makes the brassica taste better .... sweeter.

It's normal for my radishes to be 25% out of the ground and the deer will choose what's tastiest to them at whatever time of the year. Leaves or roots.

What you don't see is that there is about another 2 feet of root, that extends beyond the tip of the radish, deeper into the soil. When the radish dies and rots, it will break up and open up a channel, for water to enter and penetrate the soil. The radishes are doing their job for you, trying to break up any hard pan you have!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My deer have been eating them for a while, but with a hard freeze, there is a defensive chemical reaction that takes place inside a brassica, that acts like anti-freeze that makes the brassica taste better .... sweeter.

It's normal for my radishes to be 25% out of the ground and the deer will choose what's tastiest to them at whatever time of the year. Leaves or roots.

What you don't see is that there is about another 2 feet of root, that extends beyond the tip of the radish, deeper into the soil. When the radish dies and rots, it will break up and open up a channel, for water to enter and penetrate the soil. The radishes are doing their job for you, trying to break up any hard pan you have!

This^^^^^^^^^

1gr8bldr

I recently looked at 100's of acres of previous corn that the state paid [90%] the farmer to have radishes planted for a cover crop. They were growing up, just as you described. I would like to return to see if the deer are eating them. I was surprised that they were not reaching deep but rather so easily pulled up because of no root.

hancock husler

Maybe the difference in forage radishes versus a bigger root type like trophy radishes. I have done both for 3 years now and the biggest benefit for me has been building the soil. Deer love them now so it has become a go to. Good luck and happy planting