I Realized Something This Week

Clipper

I prefer 'skeeters, ticks, and snakes to 23 degree mornings. (I would have posted a smilie but I couldn't find one that was shivering!)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I don’t go if it’s that cold

Mudfeather

Me and a friend were laughing this week about a morning we both killed one...mine with a recurve and his with a compound...It was 18 that morning about 10 years ago. We decided they would get to live on really cold morning now.

I seriously dont think I could draw my bow anymore if i were that cold after very long.

longbowdave1

I'm finishing up an 11 day stretch of vacation for the holidays. Had grand plans for bowhunting deer and turkey this week. The temperature has been between -10 and 15 degrees above every day, with wind chills as low as -30. Needless to say I never made it out once. Even the day that was 15, had 30 mph winds from the north, BRRRRRRR.

Guess I'm done for year. I know this guy is still on loose out there. got his pictures during the Rut in November. I was hoping to see him again in the late season.:mad::mad::mad::mad: Next year........

Attachments

• rut cuddeback pics 2017 010.jpg
    rut cuddeback pics 2017 010.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 503
  • rut cuddeback pics 2017 011.JPG
    rut cuddeback pics 2017 011.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 500

SELFBOW

I hunted Ohio during a snowstorm once and 8 degrees w my compound. It was useless once the sight window was covered w snow and ice.

deast1988

Coldest deer I've ever took in ga, was 14 degrees. It's the layers that count. Solid cold weather clothes, layered correctly work wonders.

When Winter storm Deon hit, I found my self picked up by a duck guide at 4:45am we hunted till 12am that day. -10 wind chill -25. That day reality said never again if it's negatives I'll stay home. Lol

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I hunt because I enjoy it. I can’t enjoy it if I am cold.
I think I could probably enjoy one of those Saskatchewan box stands with heat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind the cold if I'm rifle hunting, but it's tough to bow hunt. I shoot primitive, and can't shoot worth a flip with gloves on, it just doesn't work for me. It's miserable sitting there in the frigid cold with no gloves.

AllAmerican

Haha. You gentlemen make me laugh. I'll take this over an early September bow hunt. Must be my Yankee blood. I hunted Ohio in early November, my second to last day it was 19 degrees with 25 mph winds. It was awesome. Working in the heat, hard, all summer makes you appreciate these days.

longbowdave1

Late season up here is tuff where I hunt. The crops have been tilled under, and food is sparse. The deer seem to move to thicker yarding areas on neighboring properties. Makes for an even tougher sit in an open tree stand, with the cold winds blowing. Got a better chance of seeing a sasquatch than a deer.

Found out this morning that my Jeep is not fond of minus 10 either, and I wasn't liking changing out the dead battery ... LOL At least she died in the driveway, and not a wind swept snowy field somewhere.

Clipper

My son still wants me to kill him a deer. He offered to loan me his propane heater for a box blind we have on our club. I'm still home when it is below 23. Glad I don't have to hunt up north! Didn't seem to bother me as much 20 years ago.

oldfella1962

It takes (generally) a couple of weeks to acclimatize to extremes of weather. I've lived & worked outside in Fairbanks Alaska in the Air Force (at minus 30 aircraft operations stopped so we got to go inside until it warmed up to minus 25 or so) :clap: and the Army in Iraq/Kuwait when it was 115 and wearing combat gear increased your body temp another 15 degrees. :cry:
But the trick is the weather has to be consistent to make it easier to get used to. In Georgia it's 70 degrees one day and 30 the next - if it stayed one temperature for a while we could get used to the cold. But those temperature swings hit my 55 year old body like a sledge hammer to the chest! :(

KevinK

I moved from Ohio to the south after college to get away from the cold. I'm with you on not liking the cold. But what I do like is when I see more deer, even if I don't get a shot. I will say I see more deer when the weather is what we consider miserable (cold, snow, rainy) with the exception of heavy winds or storms. If it is a very windy day I don't see anything. With that being said if it is cold, snowing, rainy (but not storming) and not too windy I dress appropriately and get out in the woods. Now if I consistently didn't see anything on those days I would stay home. I now stay home when it's windy regardless of the temperature. I'm not saying I don't like warmer temps but I always seem to put my climber right over a yellow jacket nest when it's warmer and I don't like that!