Georgia game check

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I think a lot of hunters have realized the increase in doe days combined with the already ridiculous bag limits have hurt our population, at least in the counties that receive a decent amount of hunting pressure. I believe they voluntarily have cut back, or stopped shooting does, I know we had cut back the last couple of seasons, and this year we agreed not to shoot any. The adjacent club to ours did the same thing, and we never even mentioned to them we were doing it. We found out close to the end of the season when we spoke with the guy that runs the other club.
I think since the state won't get realistic about protecting the herd in the counties that get hunted a lot, the hunters have decided to do it themselves. I might be wrong, but from reading various posts on here this year seems a lot of people have stopped shooting does, and are more particular about what bucks they harvest. I hope that's the case anyway.

Yeah we have done some self imposed restrictions. Only one doe was killed on our place this season. I killed two bucks and didn't shoot anything else. We have plenty of deer but we want it to stay that way.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
last year coolers required a harvest number before they would take the deer. the two processors i use said that they were no longer required to get harvest number. i know no one who reports deer harvest other than last year when required by processor

The hunter us required to provide it, so you could be ticketed for not providing it to the processor. The only thing that changed was that processors couldn't be ticketed when a hunter failed to provide the number.

Stroker

The hunter us required to provide it, so you could be ticketed for not providing it to the processor. The only thing that changed was that processors couldn't be ticketed when a hunter failed to provide the number.

Tried to give my processor the # this year or the one I killed, told me it wasn't required anymore for processing.

meathammer

ok

gotcha. i know the first 2 i took to the processor i tried to give them the number and neither wanted it. i wonder if dnr have a percentage that they think dont report and add to total. there are tons of deer killed around here that i know arent reported.

red neck richie

Which is great news. As it is not the burden of the processor to confirm a legal harvest. IMHO.

redwards

Which is great news. As it is not the burden of the processor to confirm a legal harvest. IMHO.
Exactly...and that is why the rules changes shown below were proposed in early 2017 and adopted by the State of Georgia...People should pay closer attention to what goes on with regards to deer hunting, IMHO.

Attachments

• processors.jpg
    processors.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 391.jpg
    391.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 185

redwards

gotcha. i know the first 2 i took to the processor i tried to give them the number and neither wanted it. i wonder if dnr have a percentage that they think dont report and add to total. there are tons of deer killed around here that i know arent reported.
Here is a post with the estimated % ...and the processor was within his rights to say he didn't want the confirmation number...it's not his responsibility to ensure that the deer carcass has been reported...it is the hunter's responsibility...although I will say that the processor who accepts my deer does ask each hunter to write the confirmation number on the processing info. tag.
http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=11055129&postcount=116

Last edited:

lampern

So GA is harvesting about the same amount of deer as surrounding states and not the larger numbers everybody always assumed?

shdw633

My processor used to not take the number but got a visit from a DNR officer about 1/2 way through the season and was told to get the number before he accepted the deer and has asked for the number ever since.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So GA is harvesting about the same amount of deer as surrounding states and not the larger numbers everybody always assumed?

The total deer harvest dropped by 100,000 about 3 years ago when we pulled back on the doe days. It averaged around 400,000 prior to that.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We see plenty deer in SW Ga, and even more hogs. Hogs are trying to take over i think.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Reporting a kill with the new system is as simple as it gets. I have my license and my 9yr old son's license on my phone. It takes literally 30 seconds or less of my time to legally report a kill.

Of course there are people who don't report their kills or forget to report a kill. But.. I believe most hunters are legal and the kill data is "real". Those were actual hunters reporting their kills. Not a statistical formula brewed up from random phone calls asking hunters what they killed in the past.

As for our season, I like it the way it is. It allows numerous herd management options for all types of hunters. I for one like the idea of managing what I kill on the properties I hunt. I know quite a few hard core deer hunters, and none of them tag out or come close to tagging out on does each season.

releehweoj

Reporting a kill with the new system is as simple as it gets...It takes literally 30 seconds or less of my time to legally report a kill.
As for our season, I like it the way it is. It allows numerous herd management options for all types of hunters. I for one like the idea of managing what I kill on the properties I hunt. I know quite a few hard core deer hunters, and none of them tag out or come close to tagging out on does each season.

^^^This^^^. On my lease 6 hunters killed 4 bucks and 1 doe off of 1050 acres. Left tons of does and immature bucks to provide prey for next year. Left at least 4 very mature bucks as well. We feel like our deer management practices cannot be duplicated or improved upon by DNR’s rules.