Chad's Army

olcaptain

Chad’s Army

qceaCn3.jpg

As I sit at my laptop this morning I realize that along with the current “Me Too”, there is also a very positive Me Too program circulating as well. My Facebook page is literally flooded with love and support for Chad and our family! So much so that at times it doesn’t even seem real or even possible. It is so easy to blow right over the hundreds (or more) names without realizing that each name and each entry represents a real person. A person who loves Chad and our family and when you have been asked to pray, to give, or simply post a positive picture of encouragement you have all so willingly and so promptly said…” Me Too!”

This 3 ½ year battle has been a roller coaster ride for sure. Our faith has been tested and strengthened. Our family has drawn closer than ever before and we and especially me, have learned lessons that I would have never leaned any other way. I have learned things like the importance of how you treat everyone you meet. I have learned about the brevity and the preciousness of every moment. I have even reached back and tried to appreciate my own Dad even more. I am now 65 yrs old. When my Dad was 65 my brother Dan was 20 and I was 14. I have a 36 yr old daughter, Chad who is almost 42, four grandchildren whose age ranges from 6-21 and a great granddaughter who is 2. What a difference!

This new step at the Cancer Treatment Center of Americahttps://www.cancercenter.com/southeastern/?invsrc=local_search_sermc is a biggie to say the least. They are evaluating and doing and orientation over the next several days. After that, a game plan will be revealed. I cannot truly express my gratitude and my love for all of you as adequately as I should but please know that I am trying to do my best to thank you for loving Chad and our family.

We will be strong. We will stand firm in our faith in God and in His son, Jesus Christ come what may. We love you all and thank you for being a part of Chad’s Army!

Lindseys Grandpa

Captain I live and work in Newnan. I am friends with several of the security officers and some others at Cancer Center. If there is anything you need I can help you with while you are here let me know . Tony

olcaptain

Captain I live and work in Newnan. I am friends with several of the security officers and some others at Cancer Center. If there is anything you need I can help you with while you are here let me know . Tony

That is good to know. Thanks so much Tony!

Tmpr111

My wife and I have been following your posts on Chad and his incredible journey for a long Time now. Yours and your family’s faith is contagious. So inspiring. Thank you sir. God Bless Mr. Chad.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Captain, I too have been following your trying times. It sounds like you have a great attitude. I wonder if I could be as strong as you. I am several years older than you, and just don't know that I could do it. Continued prayers for Chad and all his family.

MOTS

Captain, I too have been following your trying times. It sounds like you have a great attitude. I wonder if I could be as strong as you. I am several years older than you, and just don't know that I could do it. Continued prayers for Chad and all his family.

"Me Too"

olcaptain

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and concern. We should have an update from Newnan soon.

olcaptain

1/23/18 Written by our daughter Lauren:

Have you heard the saying "when it rains it pours"? And I'm not being holy here and talking about "showers of blessings", I'm really just speaking to the nitty gritty life just REALLY happens sometimes. Those days/weeks/months when you laugh to keep from crying. When you say...I really can't make this stuff up. Those people that you see and you're like...my word...they can't catch a break. That's the life of Chad and Meredith LaFavor. Pray for them as *life* just happens. Truly, your prayers are appreciated!

I have been charged with giving our friends and family an update as it pertains to the CTCA and their recommendations and plans for my brother. As *life* would have it, there is no miracle pill. No perfect plan. No do this, then this. And we knew that going in, but our brains forgot tell our hopes to stay at bay. I'll do my best to explain it the best I can...

While at the CTCA Chad met with many doctors about many things. They reviewed old news, and shared current news. This particular place looks at the whole person and doesn't just treat the cancer. Chad is gonna change his diet and continue to work with and talk with his team there as time goes on. Here is what is up next as far as his "plan" goes...

1. Liver biopsy for genomic testing. Results will take up to 3-4 weeks.

2. His bilirubin has been high, but if it gets and stays in the range it needs to be, he'll start choice #1 oral (pills) chemo. If it does not, he'll start choice #2 oral chemo. If his body can handle it, he will take it until if/when he gets in a trial.

3. The results from the liver biopsy will determine if he is a candidate for a trial.

4. If he is a candidate, they will have to find a trial. If no trial is available, they will wait until there is one.

5. If he is not a candidate for a trial, we will cross that bridge when we get there.

The next phase will be trial and error. We will wait and see. Chad will do what is asked of him, and he will do so with a goofy grin on his face. With an added snarky joke or comment. He and mom will "go with the flow" and dad, Meredith, and I will toss and turn and "what if". Jake and Macie will cope in their own ways as well. But at the end of the day, we will all land here...God is good. All the time. No matter what. Even if. Even when. God's sovereign plan always overshadows the "what ifs" and the the "if onlys". When you truly understand that God is ultimately in control, that only HE can give and take away, then and ONLY then can you say "Blessed be the name of the Lord". Lessons learned only in the dark. In the valley. But guess what? There is no such thing as a valley that doesn't lead to a mountain. Can't have one without the other. Though our family will take turns having down days or weeks, we have this Hope. And if you have hope, you have all you need.

May the God of hope bless you for your continued prayers, thoughts, posts, texts, visits, and generosity. You have truly been and continue to be the hands and feet of Jesus. It is both humbling and overwhelming. Please know that you are loved and appreciated!

61BelAir

My wife and I have been following your posts on Chad and his incredible journey for a long Time now. Yours and your family’s faith is contagious. So inspiring. Thank you sir. God Bless Mr. Chad.

Well said. Thank you Horace for keeping us updated and for allowing us all to be prayer warriors in Chad's Army. :flag: ::;

olcaptain

Chad has his 3rd liver biopsy yesterday at CTCA. The results will take 3-4 weeks. He will start his oral chemo TODAY. Please pray for minimal side effects. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

olcaptain

Without going into detail, we just ask you to pray for Chad. For the doctors and nurses. And for our family.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
sure will Cap. I, too am a patient at CTCA Newnan. I know the care that they give, and we will pray for Chad's full recovery

brian lancaster

Dear God I ask that you be with this precious Family and that you heal Chad according to your will and that you strengthen them in the days to come in Jesus name amen Love all of yall