Suggestions on building a pen for Beagles

JDHunter

Looking for suggestions on building a pen for housing a few beagles. Sizes, floor, cover, ect.... Any info would be appreciated.

auburndeerhunter

if you build it out of a fence make sure the floor is concrete because they will dig out of the bottom and if it is concrete then they cant!

Hoyt man

Looking for suggestions on building a pen for housing a few beagles. Sizes, floor, cover, ect.... Any info would be appreciated.

just do a search on pens , there are plenty of posts showing off there work of art. good luck

Beagle Stace

Beagle Kennel!

Just go with a concrete pad to your dimensions and use fence pannels. This way if you move it is easy to take your fencing with you. If you want a cover over the pen, just buy you one of those that you can put up with a tarp. I agree that once you go with concrete you will never put a dog on dirt again. My next kennel will also have a septic drain down. I have three separate kennels. Two have a pair of beagles in each. They measure about 10' x 16' and my third kennel has two beagles and my brittany. It is about 12' x 30' Good Luck. Also best if you can get your dog houses up off the floor with a runner leading into. Makes hosing out alot easier.

ejs1980

If you go with a tarp cover make sure you anchor the pen a thirty mile an hour wind moved my kennel about five foot. As far as the elevated dog house I've seen some 55 gallon plastic drums hanging on chains. The dogs seemed to like them and they can't climb on top and jump out.

FrancoMo

Here's a few pics of mine. 8x12 with three seperate pens . i put 2 dogs to a pen . decking boards spaced an inch apart for the flooring abd 2x4 horse panels for the fence.Have around 400 total in it.
BuckPics008.jpg

BuckPics009.jpg

BuckPics010.jpg

bobman

I prefer dirt floor kennels, they are more natural for the dogs and allow the dogs to dig holes under their dog houses during the summer.

I build chain link panels to make my kennels

go to home depot and get a roll of chain link ( I use the 6 foot stuff but for beagles that might not be needed ) and buy top rails, the top rails will have about 8 inches of a narrow part cut it off and now you have 12 foot rails next make some vertical rails by cutting the to the right length.

Now use 90 degree corner connectors to make a square with the rails and then stretch the fence material to make a rectangular panel.

I buy the door sections from home depot already assembled.

then just use fence clamps to put them together.

this type of kennel can be easily moved I move mine every year or so and one roll of wire will build several kennels, and provide extra for repairs.

all the parts I mentioned are availble at home depot.

I also have the plans for the dog houses in the picture that I will email to anyone that want them, they are jpeg files and have to be attached to a email I cannot PM them

Attachments

• smaller kennel picDSC00440.JPG
    smaller kennel picDSC00440.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 11,474
Last edited:

specialk

mine are concrete floors with a tin roof. i built mine on a slope. i left a gap of about 3 inches on the rear(low side) from the wire to the floor. this makes it easy to wash waste out. i left about 18 inches of tin roof overhang in the front so i can stand outside the door and not get wet when raining. i have running water to a frost-proof spigot as well as power.

another thing i use is these bowls for water. in the winter if they freeze you can easily kick it on the side and break the ice and it won't crack like a plastic bucket will. i use a smaller one for food as well as some self feeders.

link to bowls

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...4622_______14602|14604|34622?listingPage=true

creeksidelc

Yea, I have dirt and it really stinks. After a rain you WILL get dirty when you go to feed them, and you also must shovel the poop very often. I buried landscaping timbers along the bottom and secured chainlink to them and have not had any problems with digging. Dirt floors will work if you must, but concrete is definitely the way to go.

specialk

if you use dirt floors go to sam's/costco or a food supply place and get table salt(sam's use to carry 25lbs bags). sprinkle it on the floor of the pen monthly. it is the cheapest way to kill all intestinal worms..

specialk

My dogs rarely poop in the kennels because I run them every morning prior to kenneling.

you are a lucky man to be able to run your dogs everyday!

i like the offset doorway on your dog houses, are the roofs removable too?

JDHunter

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. That's what I like about the forum everyone is more than willing to help. Thanks again!

JDHunter

Here's a few pics of mine. 8x12 with three seperate pens . i put 2 dogs to a pen . decking boards spaced an inch apart for the flooring abd 2x4 horse panels for the fence.Have around 400 total in it.
BuckPics008.jpg

BuckPics009.jpg

BuckPics010.jpg

How do you keep the ant out of your feeders?

FrancoMo

I just spray with a pump up sprayer once a month or so when i see them . I just feed what they will eat in a day unless i am gonna be out of town .

bobman

you are a lucky man to be able to run your dogs everyday!

i like the offset doorway on your dog houses, are the roofs removable too?

Yes the roofs and internal dividers are removable

as I said anyone that wants the plans can have them for free just pm me your email address they are on jpeg files so they have to be attached to a email I cannot PM them