Best part of the deer?

drumbum77

Banned
Hello folks,

I have seen a couple of threads started in the deer hunting section about shot placement. People are saying that the high shoulder shot drops the deer in their tracks, but ruins the shoulder meat. I have made this shot before, but it was many years ago. My dad always took our deer to have it processed.

My question is...what do you think is the best part of the deer and why? Also, just how much meat are you losing by shooting high shoulder? :huh:

ambush80

tenderlion
heart
backstraps

This is my list if all you are gonna do is salt, pepper and woodfire.

The ham (broken down into the major muscle groups)is the most versatile part.

drumbum,

Here's the facts, sort of. When folks are talking about "ruining the meat", most folks are overlooking how small the AVERAGE deer in Georgia is. The fact is that there is very little meat on the front shoulders of the average Ga. deer. When you factor in the certainty of the high shoulder shot, vs. the little meat lost, the odds favor the shot.

Even if you don't shoot through the shoulders, most processors will grind the shoulders because there are no steaks and the roasts are so small and tough.

What's sort of ironic is that people will rail against the high shoulder shot because it "wastes" meat, but most of these people will throw away the neck, which has a perfectly good roast, the heart, which is muscle, not organ meat and all the organ meat.

The backstrap is the best cut in my opinion.

Personally I also like the the kidneys, broiled, and heart meat.

gtparts

Tenderloins
Backstraps
Hindquarters

X 3 BUT, why waste a good shoulder roast or neck roast when a properly placed shot will (maybe) ruin a couple of ribs? You'll get more to put in the fridge if you study up on deer anatomy and practice arrow/ bullet placement.

Bill Brown

The processors all like the meat that comes from the neck roast. Most of that is ground.

The back straps and tenderloins require very little effort.

specialk

i like the sausage part of the deer the best....:biggrin2:

drumbum77

Banned
drumbum,

Here's the facts, sort of. When folks are talking about "ruining the meat", most folks are overlooking how small the AVERAGE deer in Georgia is. The fact is that there is very little meat on the front shoulders of the average Ga. deer. When you factor in the certainty of the high shoulder shot, vs. the little meat lost, the odds favor the shot.

Even if you don't shoot through the shoulders, most processors will grind the shoulders because there are no steaks and the roasts are so small and tough.

What's sort of ironic is that people will rail against the high shoulder shot because it "wastes" meat, but most of these people will throw away the neck, which has a perfectly good roast, the heart, which is muscle, not organ meat and all the organ meat.

The backstrap is the best cut in my opinion.

Personally I also like the the kidneys, broiled, and heart meat.

Good to know...good to know

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I eat everything remotely meat-like on a deer, but the tenderloins and backstraps are definitely the best cuts. The hams are good, too-on a young one they can be sliced and fried like backstrap, on bigger ones I usually cut steaks and roasts from the big tender center section of the ham. I usually grind the neck and shoulders or make jerky with them. I even fillet off all the meat from the ribcage and grind it-makes good burger. No bad meat on a deer.