; Hidden Closet Wall - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers

Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Default Hidden Closet Wall

I'm looking for ideas to add a false wall in a closet. The closet is deeper to the left than it is to the right, so I could close it off and have approx 18X30 inches of storage from the floor to the ceiling. This would not have enough room for a hinged door, so it would need to have some type of removable access panel that looks half way like the sheet rock on the other walls, but at the same time it is in a closet and dark.

I thought a google search would get something, but most everything is hiding something behind a book case, mirror, etc., or building an actual door. Any ideas or things you may have seen are welcome. Not sure how long actual sheet rock would hold up being removed every so often. I can make a smaller section and maybe something magnetic to hold in place like child safety latches, but that will leave some seams to deal with that may stick out.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM

You might put up cedar paneling as that is often used in closets to keep out moths and such and thus would not be out of place.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM
...just joking, seriously.

My previous house had one made of removable Cedar paneling. I had the whole closet lined in Cedar paneling and the removable wall was imperceptible.
My current house has a closed-off closet from when I combine two bedrooms. Just sheetrock over the entire unused closet. It is accessible from a secret panel in the basement and in the Attic. I don't use it for much, except as a Chase from the attic to the basement to run a bunch of wiring, cables, a plumbing vent,and eventually a gas line to run gas for my basement over the house to the kitchen.
But using strings or small ropes, I imagine I could attach any number of things and lower it and hide it from the attic. Or the basement.

Picture from the basement. Not necessarily very well hidden because I don't use it for anything. I have a rather large and secure gun safe in the house.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 PM
...just joking, seriously.

The removable Cedar wall was in two sections. First lift off the top one and set it outside the closet then the bottom one would come out easily.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 PM

We did one with tongue and grooved planked pine. Just rip the tongue off where the two doors shut together.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM

How about a shoe 'cubby hole' inset into the wall ? Sheetrock around the perimeter with the cubby hole fitting into a large cutout in the sheetrock.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Probably cheaper to buy a safe, then your possessions are protected from fire also.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM

I'm not looking for a safe for this purpose, or I would buy one. We probably all have wasted space in areas that could be re-purposed to not be obvious in a smash and grab scenario, whether it is checks or your favorite BBQ rub. Not really valuable enough to spend a lot on, but might as well slow them down a little and make them search for it.

One post gave me an idea I hadn't thought of, so thanks to all.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 PM

I once did one with eye bolts and bungee cords. You could pull back far enough to release the S hook on the bungee. This made it cleaner, no hinges and it did not need room to hinge open. A long time ago, we built a hidden wing in a house, probably 700 sqft. The idea was a moving bookcase. However, the roller on the floor marked the hardwood revealing the door