coonhunter help!!

nadams

hey yall, Im pretty new to coonhuntin i got a 6 month old blue, i got some coons on the way, i was just wonderin if yall use roller cages? if so where did u get um? all the ones i have looked at are kinda HIGH so i figured i could prolly make one for alot cheaper....if yall go any ideas it would help! thanks!

Bayin'Blues

Well, I can give you a little advice, DONT MAKE ONE!! We did it and to start out with it was great, but after a few years it started to rust a little and we had one tear out of the bottem. search the coon hunting websites, like Coondawgs.com, they have alot of links to online stores.

and dont listen to SWAMPVIEW he dont got a clue what a TRUE BLUE CAN DO!!! Stick with you blue dog, he will take you places:shoot::shoot::shoot:::ke:::ke:

poolecw

You don't need a rolling cage. I've been training coon dogs for 15 years and have never used one. I sometimes use a small square cage (2' X 2') with a rope chained to it.

These days, I don't even do that. I use a rope fish net. I keep it under a caged coon so that it can get scent on it. I'll then use it to play with the pups. Ed Mead trains his Jet dogs with the net.

I prefer this method over using a caged coon....you don't want you pup to get dependent on sight.

ryan_beasley

I completely agree with poole. Be careful not to make your dog sight dependant. But if you must use something... Make a tube out of 2x4 hog wire and then wrap it in chicken wire. Mine is 10ft long before it makes a L and goes up 6ft. Lay it flat to get pup excited then simply roll the L up to enhance basic treeing ability. As soon as he does good...QUIT! I learned the hard way too many times... there's no replacement for keeping your dog in the woods. Good luck as its awesome to see your work pay off!

DEAD EYE

everybody got their own way that work's for them. but it might not work for you .I like to show my pup's a coon twice in a cage then i just keep them in the wood's with a straight dog that's not ill around other dog's ,then if they got it in them it will show.been trainng coondog's for 35 year's ,that has work'ed for me. i had rather a pup to start treeing own his own , that show's me he has the natural ability to tree and that also goes for track to.

poolecw

oh what kinda fish net you talkin about? like a casting net?

its a dip net....pole with a net at the end. Most nets are plastic, but try to get one with rope material...that tends to hold scent better.