Headscarves.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Heck of a read. Thanks

Artfuldodger

Yeah, thanks for sharing that. One interesting aspect in the mindset of some in the western world concerning Turkey's return to religion at that time was, that even returning to the wrong religion was better than no religion at all.
In other words it was viewed as a positive thing by many in the western world. Maybe there wasn't as many extremists at that time. Hey, at least they were returning to God and away from a nation of Atheists. Away from the sins of the western world and returning to the sins of their ancestors.

Also of interest is how women are viewed in religions and how their roles have changed over the years, as in Turkey, only to return as Islam returns.
Then the Islamic leaders working and wording democracy into the mix while telling women they must wear head covers. Helps men control their lust and weak minds.

Can anyone see the parallels of other democracies claiming to be such, yet not providing the same rights to blacks, women, or gays in years past? Using religion to show that a democracy is the way to be as long as we use said religion to discriminate?
I'm old enough to remember when all female bank employees were tellers and all male bankers were loan officers and such.

We as America have made great progress in that respect and if one reads the article the secular dude that came into power in Turkey and helped give women equal rights didn't grant the same to all groups. Even killing certain individuals.

It's a good lesson on life as we know it. Made me think about a lot of things. I miss the good old days when girls wore dresses and Mama made Daddy's sandwiches. When we didn't make a party out of lovin'. When women didn't work in the building supply stores.
Come to think of it, I've never met a female used car salesman or an Asian yard crew person or a Mexican nail technician. Weird. Weird ramblins' too.

Last edited: