Meat in the freezer

tree cutter 08

After walking and finding bear sign everywhere this year, finally connected about noon yesterday. He was munching on white oaks under some laurals in the bottom of a hollar. Most bear sign I've been finding has been close to water, in hollars, with white oaks and ivys. First critter I've shot with smokepole.

Attachments

• IMG_20161017_143316363-480x853.jpg
    IMG_20161017_143316363-480x853.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,350

whitetailfreak

Dandy bear there Kyle, congrats on that one. Muzzleloader week is a great time to kill one.

Buckman18

Congrats, Tree Cutter!

Killer Kyle

Attaboy Cutter! Good eating size right there! Your rifle do ok on its first kill? You shooting a .50?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Congrats brother

ripplerider

That does it I'm through hunting my usual ridges I'm gonna hunt the highest water I can find till this drought breaks. With nearby white oaks and laurel thickets that is. You're a killing machine Treecutter what did it weigh? I see you didnt butcher in the field. I still need to get a better pack, got an old ALICE pack I'm trying to modify but it's not nearly as comfortable as my old Crooked Horn. Think this full moon has them moving more in the middle of the day?

Killer Kyle

I don't know about the bears, but I volunteered at the Lake Russell hunt this past weekend, and only six deer were killed the whole hunt. 1 10, 3 does, and two 28 lb fawns dressed. That's it. Nothing is moving in the traditional way it seems. Heat, Draught, and lots and lots of acorns. Things have been weird up high.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on a nice bear! :cool:

tree cutter 08

Thanks guys, yep the 50 caliber did its job well. Think it was the tc shockwave that was using. Jacket completely separated and lead core was mushroomed out completely. I had a short drag out so I took him straight to the house to skin and quarter. I hate to mess with one deep with temps this warm. Never seen bear sign so wide spread. If its thick cover with white oaks and water there's bear sign. Most of them have been laying up right under the trees eating acorns, walking 10 ft to water and lay back down. Guided for a youth bear hunt this weekend and had one at 40 yards on a log broadside and the young mans primer just popped. That bear was crossing a finger ridge from one ivy thicket to another and both had spring heads in them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on the bear !! Did the youth hunt happen to be with 30-30 ministries ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Cool

That is a great organization to be part of , my daughter and I were lucky enough to go on the spring turkey hunt and I have to say I've hunted all my life and u guys had to be some of the best people I've ever been around, do u happen to know this ugly joker !

Attachments

• IMG_3379.PNG
    IMG_3379.PNG
    862 KB · Views: 1,067