Pope says Christians and Muslims believe in the same God

rjcruiser

It's interesting that almost none of the members who posted in this thread in 2007 post in this forum anymore.

LOL...they're all banded or under different usernames. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good times, great oldies.

rjcruiser

I will say, in response to the OT and NT being totally different belief systems and different messages...nothing could be further from the truth. It is a common belief held by athiests and agnostics, but if one read the book of Hebrews, one would see that the message of the OT and the message of the NT are very very similar. The ultimate message of the Bible, the Gospel, or the way to eternity with God is the same in both the OT and the NT.

hobbs27

I will say, in response to the OT and NT being totally different belief systems and different messages...nothing could be further from the truth. It is a common belief held by athiests and agnostics, but if one read the book of Hebrews, one would see that the message of the OT and the message of the NT are very very similar. The ultimate message of the Bible, the Gospel, or the way to eternity with God is the same in both the OT and the NT.

Yep.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484261878458.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484261878458.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 555

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you studied the NT from daylight to dark for 20 years, you will still find things in the OT that would help explain NT teaching. You will have a fuller understanding studying both. They are not exclusive of each other, they are complimentary.

Israel

BANNED
All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

gordon 2

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

This seems to suggest that the Son was active in revealing the Father well before Jesus of Nazareth walked the earth? Or something else?

Artfuldodger

In order to know God, you must also know Jesus. In order to know Jesus, you must know God.

I've tried to understand how one whose never heard the Gospel and only knows God by his creation, comes to know Jesus. Perhaps if one knows God, they know Jesus by knowledge from the Holy Spirit's revealing.

When it comes down to it there is only one Great Architect of the Universe. He may be known to many by other names but there is only one God. Only He is capable of revealing himself.

Maybe when God reveals himself, he reveals his Son. If you know God, you know the Son.

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
This seems to suggest that the Son was active in revealing the Father well before Jesus of Nazareth walked the earth? Or something else?

Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who foretold the grace that would come to you, searched and investigated carefully, trying to determine the time and setting to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they foretold the things now announced by those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.…

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets: ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from Him comes to Me — not that anyone has seen the Father except the One who is from God; only He has seen the Father.…

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Is this relevant to the current conversation?

The Doctrine of the Trinity is an attempt to describe a relational unity and diversity which are of differing density,
and of which unity or diversity there is no satisfactory temporal analogue.

“Differing density” is shown by unity being described, in Scripture, in more direct and simple terms than diversity (God’s simplicity). Therefore any attempt to find the balance point of unity and diversity must, of necessity, be closer to unity than to diversity.

I have seen, I think, a movement away from unity.

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Is this relevant to the current conversation?

The Doctrine of the Trinity is an attempt to describe a relational unity and diversity which are of differing density,
and of which unity or diversity there is no satisfactory temporal analogue.

“Differing density” is shown by unity being described, in Scripture, in more direct and simple terms than diversity (God’s simplicity). Therefore any attempt to find the balance point of unity and diversity must, of necessity, be closer to unity than to diversity.

I have seen, I think, is a movement away from unity.

I am not sure I am hearing the red rightly?

gordon 2

Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who foretold the grace that would come to you, searched and investigated carefully, trying to determine the time and setting to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they foretold the things now announced by those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.…

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets: ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from Him comes to Me — not that anyone has seen the Father except the One who is from God; only He has seen the Father.…

So the Spirit of Christ was in them the faithful, and their prophets in that they were servants of others as Christ is and not of themselves so that Christ the servant was in the Father* Yahweh from the beginning and thus ever with the faithful * ( David for example) but also other prophets... the people of faith.

In short Jesus was ever with the people of faith simply for the fact that God was a servant of His people, of man, from the get go?

Quote{the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing..}

Quote{they were not serving themselves but you,..}

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I am not sure I am hearing the red rightly?

Concerning things I read and hear — as compared to the theological battle of the 4th century when the doctrine was formulated (which I doubt that I understand well) and the time of the Reformation (equally vague to me) — it seems that teaching of Devine unity is fading relative to diversity, or individuality, or personality.

>>I removed "is"<<

gordon 2

So because the Spirit of Christ was in them they served not themselves but others as the Spirit of Christ is a serving spirit.

Or in other words God was ever a servant of man, that is, serving man because of His love and not because man was ever lord over Him, but just the opposite selflessly serving due His nature.

In this way the Savior, the servant, was ever with God from the beginning not only from the fall but also when he provided Adam with comfort though he was still sinless.

The Spirit of Christ was with Abraham when he freed from their captors Lot and his people. Not for himself did Abraham do this, but as a servant he did it for Lot. And so Abraham prevailed because the Lord, our Lord, was with him all be it in the Spirit, and Abraham knowing it or not knowing it.

????

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
So because the Spirit of Christ was in them they served not themselves but others as the Spirit of Christ is a serving spirit.

Or in other words God was ever a servant of Man, that is, serving man because of His love and not because man was ever lord over Him, but just the opposite selflessly serving due His nature.

In this way the Savior, the servant, was ever with God from the beginning not only from the fall but also when he provided Adam with comfort though he was still sinless.

The Spirit of Christ was with Abraham when he freed from their captors Lot and his people. Not for himself did Abraham do this, but as a servant he did it for Lot. And so Abraham prevailed because the Lord, our Lord, was with him all be it in the Spirit, and Abraham knowing it or not knowing it.

????
When did we see thee hungered, or naked...?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Just my 2 cents. I think it's correct to say all 3 worship one concept of God, but the individual concepts are not even close to the same......so I don't think it's correct to say they all worship the same God.