Beginner sit on top fishing kayak

Upatoi Sportsman

I have a perception that is similar to that one. I have not taken it down in any rivers yet but it is easy to maneuver on a small lake. I do plan to get it to the river this spring. I found mine on craigslist.

61BelAir

We started out with 2 of the Sun Dolphins from Tractor Supply. The cheap looking paddles they come with are still some of our favorites because they are super light yet they've held up fine. We upgraded a few months later to kayaks with removable aluminum frame seats. Those get uncomfortable after a few hours and your behind will stay wet because your sitting on the deck . You can help them out a lot by just picking up some of the foam cushions from the camping section @ Wal mart, or even better order some cheap seats off Ebay or somewhere. I think ours were about $20 each?? Also I can personally recommend NOT standing up in one of them unless you want to go for a swim and lose some stuff.

All that being said, we still keep ours and don't plan on getting rid of them. They are great if the kids want to go along. I also love that we can grab them and toss them in the back of the truck easily if we're going on a short trip or for somewhere you'd have to carry them any distance or portage a lot. Most people will bash them, but we took them to the river and caught a bunch of fish out of 'em. We can pull them across a shoal without worrying about them being super expensive.
From what I've seen you could always get about 2/3 of your money back if you get ready to sell it too.

One more thing: The "dry" storage thing is NOT waterproof. In fact I wouldn't recommend trusting them in any kayak for any price. You can pick up a phone case that looks similar to a zip loc bag with 2 thumb locks at the top and a lanyard for around $15 that works better than the box style in my opinion. My wife is able to take pictures, text, and use her touch screen without opening it up. She can even talk on the phone with it in there, but it's muffled so she usually answers first and then takes it out to talk.

BOZ

I agree with BelAir. My starter kayak was a No Limits from Academy and it has more than served its purpose. The small 10' sit on top is the perfect throw and go kayak that wont break the bank. I throw that thing on top of my small suv and go all over North GA.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Size and weight will drive what you need as well. Your body weight should not exceed 50% of the yaks rated weight capacity, 40% is even better if you plan on carrying much gear.

Do you ever plan on standing up and fishing? Things to consider in your choice. These are things I learned as a beginner. Lots of folks more experienced on this board who may chime in.

Broken Arrow 68

Good info, here. Thanks. No, I won't be standing up on it. Strictly sit down and float/fish/paddle. I've been eye balling the 10' Sun Dolphin as looks like a good value for as limited use as I'd get out of it. Just wasn't sure if there were stories out there like "no way, stay away from that!"

HydraYak

If you're new to it and not sure if this is going to be a long term thing for you go cheap... a sun dolphin would work fine on the hooch. It won't be as comfortable and durable as other fishing specific kayaks. But it will get you down river.

If you like kayak fishing and want to stick with it you'll flip that cheap kayak for something that fits better in due time. If not, the Sun Dolphin didn't set you back.

With me it's all about seat time. If i'm going to site in a kayak fishing for 8 hours in a day... i've got to be comfortable AND have all my gear in "it's place." Framed seats make a huge difference. Places to stow gear and how accessible that area is on the water is also important.

61BelAir

If you're new to it and not sure if this is going to be a long term thing for you go cheap... a sun dolphin would work fine on the hooch. It won't be as comfortable and durable as other fishing specific kayaks. But it will get you down river.

If you like kayak fishing and want to stick with it you'll flip that cheap kayak for something that fits better in due time. If not, the Sun Dolphin didn't set you back.

With me it's all about seat time. If i'm going to site in a kayak fishing for 8 hours in a day... i've got to be comfortable AND have all my gear in "it's place." Framed seats make a huge difference. Places to stow gear and how accessible that area is on the water is also important.

Took the words outta my mouth.

Corey

Broken Arrow, look on youtube at "why not to buy a walmart kayak" dont be drinking anything while watching this :)

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

^^^^^^
Exactly, it's all about comfort and functionality. Go to someplace that rents yaks or allows test floats. Won't take you long see the difference.

KDarsey

^^^^^^
Exactly, it's all about comfort and functionality. Go to someplace that rents yaks or allows test floats. Won't take you long see the difference.

You aren't far from Dawsonville. Go over to The Outside World. You can try some out right there in the pool in the store. (on 400)
I have bought several from them, even bought a demo model fresh out of that pool for a steal.
Check'em out.

Broken Arrow 68

You aren't far from Dawsonville. Go over to The Outside World. You can try some out right there in the pool in the store. (on 400)
I have bought several from them, even bought a demo model fresh out of that pool for a steal.
Check'em out.

These don't look beginner to me. Those look like high priced models, no?

Coenen

These don't look beginner to me. Those look like high priced models, no?
I know they're a big Wilderness Systems dealer, and maybe Jackson Kayak as well. Those will definitely be higher priced, but you'll be buying a lot more quality and features as well.

Maybe look at something like a Perception Pescador to kind of bridge the cost/features gap?

Either way, wait until the weather warms a little and hit a demo day, or a rental place that does kayaks. Paddle around a little, and see what you make of it. I think the subtle theme that some of us are hinting at is that if you buy a subpar 'yak you're probably going to have a subpar experience. Yeah, just about anything will float you down the river, but you'll have a much better time in a boat that offers a bit more storage, or comfort, or stability, or all three. Even as a beginner you'll be able to appreciate stuff like that.

As the saying goes, "Buy quality, and you only need to buy it once."

Good luck! :cheers: