thoughts on buying used OK Scrambler

outdoorman

I am considering buying an older (12+ yrs) Ocean Scrambler 11 ft kayak that is located about 3 hrs away. Is anyone familiar with the older Scramblers and recommend them?
I'm Supposed to drive to it next weekend for the sale and it's owner says it's in good condition. been garage kept and he's selling because getting into other watersports.
I've seen a couple of pictures of it and it's a no-frills design but I'm looking at $250 and want a sit on top to fish the intercostal creeks and waterways out to little st simons island. Also to fish freshwater rivers and small lakes I go to.

Read more: http://cgkf.proboards.com/thread/3457/thoughts-on-buying-used-kayak#ixzz4ZvtfrbDS

fish hawk

Bass Master
I'd hold out for something with a decent seat.....You'll thank me later!!!

My first kayak was a Frenzy, which is like a short Scrambler. It has enough rocker to handle surf well. Not great for flat water paddling, but not horrible either. Just get an adjustable backrest and the seat will be fine. You aren't likely to do better for that price and you can probably sell it for the same amount later. PM me if you don't like it and I'll buy it.

fish hawk

Bass Master
My first kayak was a Frenzy, which is like a short Scrambler. It has enough rocker to handle surf well. Not great for flat water paddling, but not horrible either. Just get an adjustable backrest and the seat will be fine. You aren't likely to do better for that price and you can probably sell it for the same amount later. PM me if you don't like it and I'll buy it.

Drive a 6 hour round trip to pick up a 12 year old kayak that doesn't have a framed seat?

I drove to Tallahassee to buy an older demo model Hobie Adventure just because it didn't have a framed seat. I've used them and just don't need one. They will always compromise stability, complicate things and get in the way. Sure, they are more comfortable, but there are down sides and cost is one of them too.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
i would pass personally and save up a little more, I bought my first tarpon with a rudder for $300 bucks. there are better deals out there.

T-N-T

My wife's first yak was a scrambler like that.
Great small boat. Stable and no frills.

I wouldn't drive that much for one for that price.

I paid 250 for hers about 4 or 5 years ago because it was there....

outdoorman

I've been looking on CL for awhile; I'm thinking it'll get me to fishing where I couldn't get to and agree if something else better comes along, I can always sell it.
I do appreciate each of your thoughts about this kayak.