Using a Weapon for Self Defense

44magpastor

For anyone following this thread, I highly suggest reading the following write-up. In it, he answers many of yall's questions. The whole thread is worth reading through.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_Street-robberies-and-you---The-Basics.html

Excellent write up. I especially like the part where he says, on the street, your answer is always "no".

That is something I've always been concerned about. Once a guy has you stopped, or has your attention, you are a sitting duck.

"Do you know what time it is"
"Hey big man, lemme hol' a dolla"
"You got a cigarette"

All possibly harmless questions....or..... just a way to steal your wallet, or rape your wife.

In 2014, I was walking out of a restaurant, when a guy came across the parking lot, and tried to get in my truck. When I pulled my 9mm, he backed off.

Lots of people, on this site, strongly criticized me for that. They said, "He probably just wanted a handout".

Maybe....maybe not. He never said a word. Many thought I should have determined his intentions before drawing my weapon. Doing so could have cost me my life.

Bob Wallace

You can't hodge just flashed him your Concealed weapon license badge hahahaha. That's a joke people.
If I pull my gun I intend on using it. If I do is entirely up to the person on the other end of it. I won't wait to be a victim.

j_seph

Here is my concern:

Some situations are obviously life threatening. For example, if someone breaks into your house with a gun. Other situations are not so clear. It is impossible for me to read people's minds or know how a situation will conclude.

A guy confronts you in a parking lot, wanting money. You say no. He gets angry and starts moving toward you.

What do you do?

What happens if you stand your ground?
Is going to attack or is he bluffing?
Should you draw your weapon or not?

There are times when your life COULD be in danger, but there is no way to be certain, before hand. Waiting until an altercation becomes physical can be deadly. On the other hand, being too quick on the draw might result in a tragedy of another kind.
I think the law says
OCGA 16-3-21
(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In 2014, I was walking out of a restaurant, when a guy came across the parking lot, and tried to get in my truck. When I pulled my 9mm, he backed off.

Lots of people, on this site, strongly criticized me for that. They said, "He probably just wanted a handout".

Maybe....maybe not. He never said a word. Many thought I should have determined his intentions before drawing my weapon. Doing so could have cost me my life.

This is true, you never know. Back about 25 years ago, I pulled up to a stop sign in a bad neighborhood. A woman was standing there beside the curb. Within 10 seconds, she was sitting in the truck. A few seconds later, she was pulling a butcher knife out of her purse. I assume that she did not have good intentions toward me. Luckily, I was able to grab her wrist, make her drop the knife, and throw her back out of the truck. It could have ended badly.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
This is true, you never know. Back about 25 years ago, I pulled up to a stop sign in a bad neighborhood. A woman was standing there beside the curb. Within 10 seconds, she was sitting in the truck. A few seconds later, she was pulling a butcher knife out of her purse. I assume that she did not have good intentions toward me. Luckily, I was able to grab her wrist, make her drop the knife, and throw her back out of the truck. It could have ended badly.

You should have just paid the woman, you cheapskate.:D

the only reason

I have a Ga. Weapons Carry Permit....

Is too be counted with the people who let LEO know the importance of being among the law abiding citizens who wish to remain armed.

I normally do not conceal carry unless I must go somewhere outside my truck that I do not feel safe. But, for those who go nowhere with a concealed weapon, I have no problem with it.

s&r