Hawke Optics

I've decided on a place in northern Maine for a September bear hunt and have started figuring what rifle(s) I'll take with me. My double rifle in 9.3x74R will be #1 and I'm figuring on my BLR in .450 to be my bad weather rifle.

I'm a firm believer in using scopes with illuminated reticles for this type of hunt, having sat many times in the thick woods of northern Maine until the end of legal shooting, 30 mins after SS. It can be pretty dark by then, especially if overcast and the IR can be a very good pick for those times. I had the reticle turned on when I killed my bear in 2015 at 4 PM just as it began to rain.

That said, I switched out scopes on my BLR yesterday from a Leupold 30mm 1.25-4x20 with #4 reticle to a Hawke Optics Endurance 30mm 1-4x24 with LA4 Dot Reticle (#4 with 2moa red dot). I have two of these scopes and while I won't call them the full equal of the fine Leupold VX-R series, at a significantly lower price, I do like them a lot.

I've already used one or the other of the two I have on an 1895G, Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 and a .35 Whelen so I know they can withstand some significant recoil. I bought some new rings and bases for the BLR to allow a bit more forward placement of the scope, allowing a bit more eye relief and it fit very nicely. The Double rifle wears a Leupold VX-R 1.24-4x20 with Firedot #4 reticle.

I can recommend the Hawke Endeavor 30mm series to those considering a scope with IR, but not wanting to pay VX-R prices. My next scope purchase may well be the 1.5-6x44 version 30mm Endurance.

Attachments

• 0317170906.jpg
    0317170906.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 0317170904a.jpg
    0317170904a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 224

Dub

I really like illuminated reticles, too.

I have on a VX3 4.5-14x50mm #4 illuminated that's been on my favorite hunting rifle for years.

I really like them even more now for a different reason. I just picked up a .45/70 lever action that I'm planning on topping with some 1-4x20mm glass. An illuminated reticle turned on, with the magnification dropped to lowest power...makes for one fast optic.

Looking forward to hearing your ongoing opinions of these Hawke optics.

Sweet looking BLR you have there !!!

I'm in total agreement reference the low magnification and the illuminated reticles. If you set the eye relief at the low magnification, as I always do, it works about as fast as a red dot sight when needed. Another solid reason for me to prefer these scopes for several of my rifles.

I do love me some BLRs. I have two others, a steel receiver .358 and a PG in .325WSM.

Attachments

• 1029150848-1.jpg
    1029150848-1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 166

Dub

I'm in total agreement reference the low magnification and the illuminated reticles. If you set the eye relief at the low magnification, as I always do, it works about as fast as a red dot sight when needed. Another solid reason for me to prefer these scopes for several of my rifles.

I do love me some BLRs. I have two others, a steel receiver .358 and a PG in .325WSM.

:cool::cool::cool::cool: Great looking rifles !!!