Opening morning bird

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks ya`ll. Crows got him fired up and I was able to get up about a 100 yards from him and set up. A couple of light yelps and the next thing I heard was him clucking from about 40 yards out in front of me, but I couldn`t see him. He kept clucking and worked his way to my left, and I finally got a look at him. He got into the open then and went in a full strut. I just stayed on him till he slicked down, then shot him. He was 36 steps from me.

10 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch spurs, maybe 18 pounds, give or take (most of my birds don`t seem to be as heavy as everbody elses). He sure liked that Scott`s Cutter.

Gil, you`d be correct. Just my call, possibles bag with necessities, Thermocell, and my gun. :cheers:

Attachments

• scott`scutter.jpg
    scott`scutter.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,047

SCPO

Thanks ya`ll. Crows got him fired up and I was able to get up about a 100 yards from him and set up. A couple of light yelps and the next thing I heard was him clucking from about 40 yards out in front of me, but I couldn`t see him. He kept clucking and worked his way to my left, and I finally got a look at him. He got into the open then and went in a full strut. I just stayed on him till he slicked down, then shot him. He was 36 steps from me.

10 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch spurs, maybe 18 pounds, give or take (most of my birds don`t seem to be as heavy as everbody elses). He sure liked that Scott`s Cutter.

Gil, you`d be correct. Just my call, possibles bag with necessities, Thermocell, and my gun. :cheers:

NIC, Is that a Scotts Cutter box call.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
NIC, Is that a Scotts Cutter box call.

It is. The lid is birch, and the sides are 150+ year old wormy chestnut that he got off an old cabin in North Carolina. Miz Shirley made the holster.

Steve Roberts

WTG Nic!!! Awesome

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Congratulations Nic.....great way to start a morning and season.

snuffy

Congratulations Nic! Fine bird!
Ever shot one with one of your smokepoles?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Congratulations Nic! Fine bird!
Ever shot one with one of your smokepoles?

Never have, but I do want to take my flintlock and my Grandaddy`s old homemade scratch box that is now over 100 years old and kill a bird with em. I just have to get up the nerve to take the old call out and use it. He used that call to bring in the very first turkey I ever killed.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks, Phil! Special place, in God`s Country. :cheers: