Big striper bait

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Heard of guys using skipjack over 12 inches and up to 2lbs to catch monster stripers in Tennessee, and the guys up north using whole, live scup (porgy) for bait in saltwater, so... I'd go with a 8inch + gizzard shad maybe

cstinchcomb

i caught a 8 lb striper on a 10 in shad the other day on lanier.. he just swiped it and got hooked by the triple hook i had stuck in its tail but a large striper can easily take a a 12 inch two or three pound bait...

jeremyledford

I've seen them eat 2lb bass on release from local tournaments on West Point several times. And this was only a 15-20 lb fish.....

Coenen

When they're in the mood for a big meal, I think it's tough to go too big. IIRC, Oakwood Bait and Tackle sells Gizzards and Trout that are 12"+ or bigger. Like any predatory fish, they'll try on just about anything they think they can choke down, and maybe a few things that they can't.

A wise fisherman once told me, if it looks weak and easy to eat, eventually something will try to eat it. For a 20lb+ Striper, that's a pretty wide variety of stuff.

25Mercury

Caught 7 stripers yesterday at lake Juliette on 3 inch blue backs in a 45 minute period. All of them were in the 7 to 8 pound range and the last 4 fish were caught on dead bait.

castandblast

i've caught them on 1-2lb suckers before. I've had a lot of fish try to hit the big sucker bait and then give up and then inhale a big shad on the line next to it.

MattKelley

Use bigger hooks and chunks. I mainly use whole dead bait bigger than 7inches. Still get the hungry 12incher on occasion but significantly less than when I was using small cuts of trout or shad.

bbrueck

Well, I'm one of those guys who got a big bait lesson on a couple of trips to TN for trophy stripers. When we were catching skipjacks for bait before going for stipers the guide would throw back any jacks less that 3 lbs. I kid you not, Jim Farmer can verfiy it. Big striper had NO problem inhaling 3 lb. skipjacts. Now on Lanier I wouldn't and don't hesitate to use the biggest shad the bait shops have or biggest you can catch. The fish in my avatar was at 30lb stripe and it ate a 3 lb skipjack.

j_seph

14" gizzard shad is what I caught my 30lber on