Gamebirds, bug & fish

rip18

Gamebirds, bug & fish (fish parts anyway). I thought I'd share a few shots from earlier this month.

Quail - a male bobwhite from the side of the road at Prairie Wildlife. A little later I had a hen and 9+ chicks scurry across the road in front of me; of course I couldn't get the camera on them before they disappeared into the grass.

Nikon D300s, Nikkor 80-400 @ 400 mm (600 mm equivalent), f/6.3, 1/800th second, ISO 250, existing light, braced on truck window, slight crop.

Mourning Dove - mourning dove on a barb-wire fence.

Nikon D300s, Nikkor 80-400 @ 400 mm (600 mm equivalent), f/7.1, 1/640th second, ISO 500, existing light, braced on truck window, slight crop, selected out-of-focus green vegetation background & tried to turn it into a "dove-season tan" color.

Sabre-toothed Herring Tooth - this ~1" long fossil tooth was found by Little Critter in the Black Belt Prairie Region of Mississippi (where Cretaceous limestone reefs are on the surface) during a fossil hunt during Prairie Wildlife's first Youth Nature Camp.

Nikon D3, OLD Lester A. Dine 105 mm micro, f/32, 2.5 seconds, ISO 1600, tripod, flash with diffuser set off 3 times at different angles around fossil, slight crop.

Milkweed Assassin Bug on Tropical Milkweed - I conducted a short "fungal photography" course for the Gulf Coast Mycological Society at Shroomdom recently. Mississippi Public Broadcasting was filming a "Country Road" segment on Shroomdom that day, so I had to go into the garden & "pretend" to take some pictures for some B-roll for their segment. This is one of the images that I "pretended" to take.

Nikon D3, Nikkor 200 mm micro, f/11, 1/160th second, ISO 250, tripod, existing light, slight crop.

Attachments

• 8798BobwhiteWebCrGON.jpg
    8798BobwhiteWebCrGON.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 8910MourningDoveWebCr2GON.jpg
    8910MourningDoveWebCr2GON.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 4539SabretoothHerringToothFossilWebCrGON.jpg
    4539SabretoothHerringToothFossilWebCrGON.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 3868MilkweedAssasinBugWebCrGON.jpg
    3868MilkweedAssasinBugWebCrGON.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 143

wvdawg

Staff member
Real nice captures Rip - thanks for sharing.

GAJoe

They're all great but..
Love the quail! Haven't seen a wild one in years.

rip18

Thanks, y'all. They were fun to take. Yep, photographing wild birds isn't an opportunity that comes along every day for me anymore - and I didn't take advantage of it when I had it. I've learned to photograph the things that are common where you are...

... Me think you should post more often
I agree (and that would require that I go out & shoot more often which I haven't done as much of this year as any other year in the past 20 or so!)