Calling all M1 Garand Experts

Northwestretriever

So I thought I'd be joining a deer lease this year, but it didn't happen. :rolleyes: That being said, I'm thinking about spending the extra money and getting a service grade M1 from CMP.

My grandfather was a "Deadeye" in the 96th Infantry Division and landed in Leyte on October 20th 1944. After fighting in the first wave at Leyte, he went on to fight in Okinawa. I'd really like to get a Garand from this time period.

My understanding is the SA Garands with serial numbers 3,180,532 are from September of 1944 and the Winchester serial numbers 2,513,822 are from October of 44.

Which gun would you purchase? The Winchester or the Springfield and why? Thanks

bullgator

Winchester likely has more collectors value but SA is more likely to have been carried by a family member. The gun he carried would have been make much earlier. Just try for a WWII serial number since 10/44 may not have even seen action. That's what I did

Northwestretriever

Winchester likely has more collectors value but SA is more likely to have been carried by a family member. The gun he carried would have been make much earlier. Just try for a WWII serial number since 10/44 may not have even seen action. That's what I did

Awesome! Thank you for the advice.

Northwestretriever

How many of you reload for your M1's? I've heard you have to have certain powders and primers for it to be safe?

godogs57

How many of you reload for your M1's? I've heard you have to have certain powders and primers for it to be safe?

Have to have a fast burning powder for correct timing. Also a too slow powder can bend your op rod. I use a 168 SMK and 47 grains of IMR 4064 which gives me fantastic results. Lots of folks also use 4895 powder, but 4064 was always the deal with me.

Good luck with your search. My dad carried a Springfield with the 75th Inf Div in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew his s/n until Alzheimer's started winning the Battle. I searched high and low for a Garrand close to his s/n. I finally found a "correct" Garrand within 100,000 of his # and was ecstatic. I always take her out on Veterans day and more times than not, kill a deer.

Northwestretriever

Have to have a fast burning powder for correct timing. Also a too slow powder can bend your op rod. I use a 168 SMK and 47 grains of IMR 4064 which gives me fantastic results. Lots of folks also use 4895 powder, but 4064 was always the deal with me.

Good luck with your search. My dad carried a Springfield with the 75th Inf Div in the Battle of The Bulge. He knew his s/n until Alzheimer's started winning the Battle. I searched high and low for a Garrand close to his s/n. I finally found a "correct" Garrand within 100,000 of his # and was ecstatic. I always take her out on Veterans day and more times than not, kill a deer.

Thank you so much for the information! All who have served are the best of thier generation, but the young men who served in WW2 will always have a place in my heart. God bless your dad. :flag:

Northwestretriever

You guys rock! :cool:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
what is the procedure for buying a gun through the CMP?

I thought you had to have a club membership in a certified shooting club?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

US Citizen

Membership in a CMP Affiliated Organization. I recommend the Garand Collector's Assoc. if one of the following doesn't apply to you.

or

Member of the VFW, American Legion, DAV, Active/Retired Mililtary, FOP, Napo...

Full details at CMP.org

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
CMP is a great way to acquire a Garand and ammo (to a lesser extent now...the days of 240 rds M2 Ball on enblocs for $70 is long gone...thankfully I stacked it deep in those days)...I have bought all 3 of mine and 2 M1 carbines from them. No issues, pick your rifle grade out, pay your money and wait for the long brown box containing your prize to arrive by UPS.

bullgator

M1 collectors club will do it. I think the cmp site has a list of appropriate clubs to join.

bullgator

For $14/yr. www.m1collectorsclub.com will get you your Garand. Right now they have Special grades available with Springfield receivers.

Latest posts